Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which lightweight aluminium frame?

I'm thinking of going back to an aluminium frame but am unsure of which to choose from. I don't race and I'm looking for something lightweight (Loads of hill where I live) that's not going to batter me. Not sure if weight is a factor but I'm 182lb's
Obviously the CAAD 10 has to be on the list but I'm also liking the look of the kinesis athein.
Is there anything else I should be considering?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

hsiaolc | 8 years ago
0 likes

I will look at Rose and Canyon as well for good alu frames.

Have you looked at Hunt? Latest review seems very good and it does look very good.

chilievans replied to hsiaolc | 8 years ago
0 likes
hsiaolc wrote:

I will look at Rose and Canyon as well for good alu frames.

Have you looked at Hunt? Latest review seems very good and it does look very good.

I bought the Kinesis Aithein.
Fantastic frame

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

Nice.

chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just been out on the aithein.
Took 8 sec off a nearby section to claim its first KOM.
It's the best bike I've ever had.
light agile and stiff. This thing just wants to move.

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

Would be interesting to see how it rides.

Keep updating!

chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's just come through my door.
I bought it merlin cycles and I'll build it up myself.
very excited lol

chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

Frame update..
My new black Aithien will be arriving in the next few hours. I'll post some pics when it's built up
Thanks for the input boys.

AJ101 replied to chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes
chilievans wrote:

Frame update..
My new black Aithien will be arriving in the next few hours. I'll post some pics when it's built up
Thanks for the input boys.

Very nice! Where did you get it from btw?

And are you doing the build yourself?

Iamnot Wiggins | 8 years ago
0 likes

Try c-bear for the bracket as they seem to have multiple BB options for numerous different shells & chainset combinations. Just about to order one for my narrow S-Works BB shell so that I don't have to run numerous spacers with a Rotor chainset.

chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

Slight issue.
I just realised that I need a bb30 frame as I don't really want the extra cost of getting a new chainset.

joemmo replied to chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes
chilievans wrote:

Slight issue.
I just realised that I need a bb30 frame as I don't really want the extra cost of getting a new chainset.

You might struggle for choice there. I think most of the new alu frames use bb386 which I don't think is compatible with bb30 cranks. Could be wrong though, bottom bracket standards are bloody confusing...

twowheeltoys replied to chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

Right, that settles it. I'm getting an aithien.
It's just a question of size now
I'm 5'10" with 32" leg. I'm thinking I need a 56cm but not sure.

What size do you guys ride?

stuke replied to chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm 5'10 with a 31" leg and ride a 53 with the 55cm top tube. I can run a decent amount of carbon post then for comfort while still getting a decent drop to the bars.

Awesome bike though, much less harsh than the CAAD10 plus the handling is tight and direct. The Bowman Palace is great too but I think the Aithen just has the edge on performance/comfort balance.

sincadena | 8 years ago
0 likes

I got a Aithein in Jan to race on, my usual bike is a '12(bought in '13) BMC RM01... and the bloody thing has been hung in the rack for the last 5months. the Aithien is the same geometry, and the both have the exact the same kit on bar the seatpost(ultegra 11 alloy bars/stem). wegihs a smidge more than 7kgs (mine is a 53 and its 7.05kgs with some swiss side wheels)
I've had just about anything (apart from a pinarello, they just don't fit me) under the sun... Cervelo, cannondale, principia, colnago, Lemond, trek, bianchi, litespeed, giant, specialized, guernecotti, etc, etc . I can honestly say that the Aithien isn't the stiffest bike I've ever ridden, it's not harsh,& it's smoother on a rough descent with the right wheels than the bmc, that's supposed to be one of the blingest things on the planet and to boot it's cheap!
so it's not on most peoples want list but it's up there with the best bikes I have ridden.
bottom line: if you want something smooth & flexy, perhaps look elsewhere. if you want to feel what's happening underneath you then try one (btw it also seems to love being abused..) got in some 7hr rides on mine and have a bunch of Strava KOM's on it, and not felt as beaten up as on the BMC.

hope it helps!

mattydubster | 8 years ago
0 likes

Tbh I don't think I'd say it was really harsh, personally I couldn't really see any difference between the kinesis and a decent carbon frame. But then again I just ride, I'm no expert.

As for the weight, when I was building it the weight weenie really come out of me. I weighed each part before putting it on and then weighed the bike at the end - Just a shade under 7kg without the pedals. That's with the Chorus set up but Athena carbon chainset (640g). Wheels are Campag Zonda's and finishing kit is mainly Deda. I really ought to get a pic on here, it's a beautiful beast. In orange as well  3

chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Matty.

How does it ride btw as reviews claim that it's quite harsh?
Also what does it weigh?

mattydubster | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would defo second the Kinesis Aithein, got one myself in February and stuck a Campag Chorus groupset on it. Truly amazing bike  1

Before I chose the Aithein I was looking at the Isaac Graviton - beautiful looking bike but they didn't do frame only...

chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

The ROSE Xeon looks fantastic.
does anyone have any first hand experience of riding one?

dave atkinson replied to chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes
chilievans wrote:

The ROSE Xeon looks fantastic.
does anyone have any first hand experience of riding one?

i have, albeit the 2013 frame. which was a smasher.

http://road.cc/content/review/81979-rose-xeon-rs-3000

chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers boys

joemmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bowman palace? Canyon also do some nice alu frames.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Definitely look at both of those, I tried an Aithein recently and it was VERY nice. Look at Rose and Canyon too, the Germans aren't as hung up on carbon as we are so make some nice light frames.

Latest Comments