Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lightweight Riders and Aero Wheels?

I'm sorely tempted to get some aero wheels in the next month or so but being a relative lightweight rider I'm wondering what I might be getting into in terms of cross winds and handling?

I don't plan on taking them up the sides of any mountains but even on the flats where I plan to use them the wind can really get up. I have a pair of Mavic Aksiums and I can easily get buffeted around on those on a windy day and pushed off my line so it is a bit of a concern, will deep section wheels be much worse?

Are the new wide U profile designs significantly better in crosswinds than the more readily available narrow V designs for a rider of my weight?

Obviously I don't plan on using them when it is really windy but I'm wondering how calm it would have to be for them to be usable. Is there anyone out there who might have experience with aero wheels in a similar position that could provide some feedback as to how I might get on with them?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Goyt | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys, that's very helpful. I'd started to think that 38-47 would be about ideal for me so it's good hear some positive feedback from people with some experience. I don't think I'd want to mess with my position though, aero as it is.

I quite regularly cycle over the Severn bridge and can be leaning sideways into the wind just going straight with my current wheels, it would be nice to be able to use any aero wheels for some routes into Wales.

Is there much difference in terms of cross wind stability with the new wider U profiles are they pretty much the same as the narrower Vs?

bechdan | 8 years ago
0 likes

im 70kg and i feel my front wheel going a bit on 30mm rims, just the way it is, i cant imagine itd make that much difference being a bit deeper for crosswinds.

If you do get the aero rims and find that they are bothering you in wind, then you could use a shorter stem on your bars as that will increase stability, but then you risk increasing air resistance on your torso. Its important to get your upper body as aero as possible as thats the largest surface area.

Mike Cotty | 8 years ago
0 likes

Depending on how deep you decide to go on the rim will determine how much you may be effected by buffering in strong crosswinds. You'll regularly see rims in the region of 40mm depth used in a lot of conditions (flat, hills and wind) and by light riders with little problem. It's a popular depth as it provides a versatile wheel, fast on the flats, competent on the climbs and still manageable in the wind. If you start going beyond this e.g. 60mm-80mm or more then you'll have to be more mindful of the wind, especially if you're light and it's particularly strong.

To put it in perspective, I live close to the New Forest so it's open, flat and can be rather windy. I'm probably on the lighter side of things at 60kg and have little concern with the 40mm rims that I use practically all year around. I'd be confident of using 60-80mm wheels in blustery conditions (it may not be so much fun) but there's still controllable. If it's crazy strong wind out then there's a good chance, whatever wheels you're using, you want to consider how safe it is to be out on the road anyway.

Hope that helps. Stay well and ride safe.

Mike

Latest Comments