Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Taking the train (with your bike)

I'm going to be taking a long train journey with my bike for the first time soon and I'm wondering how secure it will be and if there's anything I should really know about travelling with bike on trains in advance?

I'm travelling on a Cross-country train and wondering if it's best to remove all the accessories like computer, lights, bags, bottles, pumps etc, if it's worth taking a lock or whether it's even possible to lock the bike to something in the storage aisle?

Is it best to nervously hover within constant eyesight of the bike at all times (are there seats nearby?) or are they safe enough in the bike storage to go and relax in a proper seat? What about stops?

What's your routine when taking a bike on a train?

Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Goyt | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that. I know it's going to be a rush so having some information to go on is very helpful and allows me to plan a bit. Cheers

AsOriginalAsYou | 8 years ago
0 likes

Most CrossCoutry trains have the storage in the vestibule (they hang 2-3 in a pod), Normally there are one or two seats that fold out nearby.

If you can't get a seat I'd suggest taking a bike computer off as they are right next to the door.

It's also best to make reservations as space may be limited especially in the summer.

Goyt | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments, I'm on a CrossCountry train so have booked a space but don't really know what to expect so I really appreciate the comments.

I want to travel as light as possible and this will be the only point where the bike is (ever) potentially unsecured so is all a bit worrisome. Thanks again

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Mainline trains, you usually have to pre book your allocated space(generally in section of carriage with no passengers). They don't have a lot of spaces, 2 spaces only is common.

On local trains, it is first come first, if there is space for you on the train. I never leave anything of value unless I can see my bike or its in a separate carriage away from other passengers.

bamboo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Which train line are you taking?

I have taken my bike on a number of train journeys with me, including commuter routes around London (sit close to your bike and keep it in sight - no point locking it on these routes), on the sleeper from Scotland to the South (no need to lock it as it is in a secure area), on day trains from the south east to Cornwall and Scotland (the bikes are in a safe compartment, still worth taking your valuables and luggage off the bike - you can lock them up but I tend not to bother) and on Eurostar trips to France (you hand the bike in beforehand, take off valuables and luggage before handing your bike over to the baggage handlers).

My general experience is that train companies are accomodating to cyclists.

ConcordeCX | 8 years ago
0 likes

If the bike space is in a passenger carriage just make sure you sit nearby so you can keep an eye on it. If you can't sit nearby take your valuables with you; if there's a convenient way of securing your bike, do so.

If the bike is in the guards van, just take your valuables with you.

I've taken my bike on loads of trains and never had a problem. I don't worry about it, but I do like to keep it in view.

Latest Comments