Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Jersey for someone with large breasts

So as the title suggests I have a little issue, well I don't have the issue my girlfriend does.

Where (if anywhere) can I find a cycling jersey for a woman with ample breast? She is 30HH and normally a size 10/12 so waist and hip wise pretty small in comparison.

I've been looking at jerseys for a while now and if we get one which fits her bust she looks like she's wearing a poncho, then if we get one that fits her waist well, that zip ain't going to do up or hold them in for long on Britain's bumpy roads.

Has anyone out there found anything even close to a jersey for my situation or am I going to be following the advice of friends and getting a large jersey but getting it taken in (tailored) after the purchase?

TIA

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

dottigirl | 8 years ago
0 likes

I wear an Enell bra to keep the 'puppies' under control. It's like an upper body corset. It does make jerseys fit better too, much more slimline. And I never have the 'cold nipple' problem a friend has.

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

My wife (32F) has the same issue, but she tried on a lot in various LBSs and I. The end was reasonably happy with a Castelli ladies top and another that was I think Mavic?

LuckyNoS7evin | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all

See how the shopping trip goes over the weekend, luckily I'm not going to be there as I've got a Tough Mudder to run but will keep you a breast of the situation!

Al__S replied to LuckyNoS7evin | 8 years ago
0 likes
LuckyNoS7evin wrote:

but will keep you a breast of the situation!

go and stand in the corner for ten minutes for that pun

JonD | 8 years ago
0 likes

Another thought - merino jerseys. A mate who does a lot of distance stuff and is doing this year's Transcontinental lives in his when on the bike. Seems cool enough when it's hot, and warm enough when it's cool, and he reckons they don't get smelly..having sat next to him in a coffee shop after he'd ridden from Barcelona to London, it would seem to be accurate.

Main point is they're reasonably stretchy, but most (?) people tend to forget merino.

His is from a company called Jura (direct, or from Stolengoat or Cyclemiles as the first few hits on google..).

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

Jersey for someone with large breasts eh?

I'll agree with that. Although Guernsey is nearly as good.

Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

Has she tried any of the menswear? My wife is tall and finds that most of the women's tops do not fit her shape, and so buys the occasional men's top. I'm not sure that it will help in this situation, but worth eliminating (partly because it can easily be done in a shop or with your clothing).

My other question is what does she wear during other forms of exercise? Beyond the chamois she could probably use the same clothing depending on the length of bike ride and other requirements. Many of the technical fibres are used in other sportswear and outward bound clothing. I'm presuming she's not in to time trialling and racing at this point in time.

phebeM replied to Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes
Colin Peyresourde wrote:

Has she tried any of the menswear? My wife is tall and finds that most of the women's tops do not fit her shape, and so buys the occasional men's top. I'm not sure that it will help in this situation, but worth eliminating (partly because it can easily be done in a shop or with your clothing).

My other question is what does she wear during other forms of exercise? Beyond the chamois she could probably use the same clothing depending on the length of bike ride and other requirements. Many of the technical fibres are used in other sportswear and outward bound clothing. I'm presuming she's not in to time trialling and racing at this point in time.

I do agree. For some designs, it could be worn by unisex. Men's tops tend to be bigger on the bust. As long as it is stretch fabric, it should be no problem in fit.

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

A long time ago I worked in a motorcycle shop with a rather straight talking Yorkshireman who ran the clothing section. One day a very busty lady came in looking for a bike jacket. Nothing fitted properly and eventually my colleague just came straight out with "The problem is your tits are all over the place, you need a proper bra". I really felt embarrassed for her as she swiftly left the shop not looking very happy. About 2 hours later she returned, marched into the clothing section, stripped off her top to reveal a brand new sports bra and said "Right, I've done my part, now find me a bloody jacket!" She got a great deal on a jacket which looked pretty damn good on her.

Moral of the story - start with good foundations!

NeilG83 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sarah Connolly aka @_pigeons has a couple of useful blog posts with recommendations at the bottom of the page. I think the first is probably of more use to you than the second but here are the links:

http://prowomenscycling.com/2013/10/10/cycling-clothes-for-curvy-girls-p...

http://prowomenscycling.com/2013/10/11/cycling-clothing-for-curvy-girls-...

Shep73 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Contact Dame Cycling on Facebook, kelli who owns it is an ex DH champ and she gets ladies clothing so she might be able to help.

JonD | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hmm..well, I was going to suggest having a look at the Corrine Dennis website - despite being a bloke I've (inadvertently) bought some of their women's wear in the past in shop sales and they use some *very* stretchy fabrics.
TBH their older stuff without the odd seam points of the newer stuff looked better, but it's a small company so worth dropping them a mail to see what they suggest.. you may still need to get a dressmaker to alter something but the stretchiness could help. There's a fabrics info page on their site, ISTR Colorado, Meryl, Supplex may be the fabrics I'm thinking of..

www.corinnedennis.co.uk

This lot seem to make some of the fabric types CD use (dunno if they're the actual suppliers),
they're another uk company so could be worth dropping an email to, to see if they supply any cyclewear manufacturers.

www.rainbowjersey.co.uk/index.html

Prob. worth expanding your search to more general running/fitness wear, could be more scope there, inc. women-orientated/only manufacturers (eg sweatybetty).

Could also be that a less stretchy but more closely tailored jersey might be more comfy ? - mebbe depends on underwear too.
Edit:
Another thing to consider is whether a full-length zip makes it easier to get on/off, esp. re. waistband stretchiness and loo stops generally
HTH..

(Fwiw my OH has the converse issue, 10-12 A but wide hips, generally sorted by her single-handed attempt to buy all the 10/12 Monsoon dresses of a certain cut on ebay ! But t-shirts can be a problem, what fits otherwise isn't usually wide enough where they drop below belt level)

LuckyNoS7evin replied to JonD | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that, seems like I'm going to struggle to find something perfect, but you're right just got to keep looking (buy everything!)

Latest Comments