Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling the London Marathon route

Hi there,

I heard a rumor that on London marathon day (this Sunday) they shut the roads to cars at around 7am, if you can get onto the route with your bike just after that you can in fact cycle the full route without any cars before the race. 26 uninterrupted miles through central London, sounds great.

Has anyone had a go at trying this in previous years? does it work?

Any advice much appreciated.

Hamish

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

jollygoodvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Also worth pointing out that the Elite men's wheelchair race starts at 0900 and the winner will take around 1 hr 30 to finish. The top guys average over 17mph so unless you've got a good headstart and keep your speed up they might catch you...

hamishg333 replied to jollygoodvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

7am start hopefully the breakaway won't be caught!

Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes

they've issued statements in the past to discourage this- basically up until the runners appear there can be vehicles stocking the drinks stations etc, plus media, officials and others all driving on the course and not expecting cyclists.

Plus, officially, the road is Closed, so they're well within their rights to turf you off it. Right of Way is suspended...

Which means that plenty do do this. Of course

Pret | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi, never tried and I would join you, BUT what I have experienced with ride london last year was closed roads after 7am (if I am correct) BUT the route was full of pedestrians mixed with tourists.

Latest Comments