Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is there such a thing as a bike scrap yard?

We are renovating our bike shop and on the top floor we have upwards of 40 bikes in varying levels of build (some just frames, some full bikes etc). Some are 20+ years old. Is there such a thing a bike scrap yard? Are there people who like to buy old frames and return them to there former glory?

Any advice and info would be richly appreciated as i am kinda drawing blanks at the present time but it seems such a waste just to throw them out. Surely someone must be interested

Kind regards

Rich

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

glentressbikes | 14 years ago
0 likes

hiya, there's the bike station, a charity, in edinburgh who recycle bits, bikes etc 0131 668 1996. Even if you phone them and they say no thanks, it's just the cost of a call. They've always gratefully received bits from my shop. Cheers.

demoff | 14 years ago
0 likes

As already posted ebay is the way to go and you could be pleasantly surprised at what a few hours work taking photos and listing them could yield. A few decent pics and more importantly an honest description and you can shift most things.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

heh. they probably are a bit far away for you  1

fbhidy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'm in the USA, not the UK. We don't often see Bike Jumbles (usually called swaps here) except in major metro areas. LA, Denver, and Boston have the largest that I am aware of. None in my little corner of the world  7

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

there's plenty of bike jumbles not too far from you either. check out http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/events.htm for a list

fbhidy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I think you might be surprised how often vintage (or just not-current) bikes sell on eBay. Folks like me who can't afford to buy new equipment often scour eBay and other forums that have for-sale sections/classifieds for parts or even whole bikes on the cheap. You might feel it's not worth the time or the money, but believe me there are plenty of folks who can't afford to pay retail prices for gear. So this is our only way to keep riding!

Latest Comments