Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

new shoes sir?

so, am in the market for a new pair of shoes. Looking at Bont Riot. I have quite wide feet (about 105mm wide); anyone have any experience with this shoe, especially for extra wide flipper fee like me  4

Any other recommendations?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

aguyonabike | 8 years ago
0 likes

bikemadjo | 8 years ago
0 likes

i wouldn't rule out Spez, i have flipper feet and they seem to be one of only a few shows that fit me properly. ultra reliable and stiff, well worth the money!

Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

R1s

fredinchina | 8 years ago
0 likes

aargh, too many recommendations~! ashfanman, Which Fiziks did you get?

ashfanman replied to fredinchina | 8 years ago
0 likes
fredinchina wrote:

aargh, too many recommendations~! ashfanman, Which Fiziks did you get?

I don't have any Fiziks - that was Colin.

I just got the base Mavics, the Avenge, but I don't think they make them anymore as they've changed the range. New ones don't look as nice IMO.

AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

What are they like reliability wise? Just looking at some ex demo Bont Riots from Evans (very cheap btw!) but the wear on the sole is shocking. Not sure if that's a normal thing reported by other Bont wearers but jesus you wouldn't want to wear them out in the rain!

edit: the size 45s

Iamnot Wiggins | 8 years ago
0 likes

I too have wider feet and have just bought some Bontrager XXX shoes which are fantastic and have plenty of room in the toe box with no hot spots forming anywhere over longer rides (4 hrs +). Super stiff too. Recommended!

Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

I had a pair of Time shoes which were nice and wide. But I now have Fi'zik's which also fit my wide feet fairly well.

As per the above the mouldable capability is not great. You have to get a shoe that is initially just slightly too small, which will then be just right after you've moulded (effectively shrunk) the sole to your foot.

ashfanman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Mavic also have wide-fit shoes IIRC. They also do lots of half-sizes, which I found really useful, and are often on sale for some reason. Really like mine.

fredinchina | 8 years ago
0 likes

great feedback everyone. Gives me more confidence that the bonts will be a good choice. Just hope they fit relatively well out of the box.

Does anyone have hands on experience with the giro empires? I agree, they look awesome. Love the orange.  8

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I love me bonts but the whole moulding them is overrated. Yes it makes then fit your feet perfectly, but only if they already fitted pretty well. Its not some magical process that completely changes the shoes dimensions.
If they're not comfy in the shop, they won't be comfy after moulding.
Supposedly giro empires are quite wide and with the laces can be made wider in specific parts too, they're going to be my next pair of shoes I think ( and they look flipping amazing  16 )

glynr36 replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

I love me bonts but the whole moulding them is overrated. Yes it makes then fit your feet perfectly, but only if they already fitted pretty well. Its not some magical process that completely changes the shoes dimensions.

I found the opposite, I got mine online very cheap, and took a risk on them.
Felt horrible first try, then decent insoles and 2 mouldings (not just pop them in the oven, pop them on shape a bit then leave to cool) of reshaping parts where they felt wrong and then the second one to finalise, and they're brilliant.
Spend some time and effort with them and you'll get a better fit, even better with mouldable soles.

pdf500 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would probably rule out Specialized and Sidi, which both seem to have quite narrow fittings.

JonD replied to pdf500 | 8 years ago
0 likes
pdf500 wrote:

I would probably rule out Specialized and Sidi, which both seem to have quite narrow fittings.

Sidi come in a wide fitting too, fwiw.

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of flat wide feet and wear a pair of bont riots (same size as my shoes) - can't see me ever getting another brand of shoe, they are ace!

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Go try them on, and others, then buy where you try. Though if those Bonts are the ones with the mouldable sole trying them on isn't the most telling.

fredinchina replied to kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

in an ideal world, that's exactly what i would do, but I live in Guangzhou in China, where trying on a pair of Bont shoes isn't reeeaaally available at the LBS. A pair of flipflops at the supermarket is the best I can get...

Latest Comments