Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Now need glasses so...

cant see the mapping info on my garmin edge 510. Am using least possible info on a page to maximise character size etc etc....is beginning to detract from my enjoyment and particularly bad when wearing sunglass's! Ideally would like some clear and smoked glasses for all conditions but budget is an issue - be pleased to hear from others who have similar and their solutions? Thanks in advance...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for contact lenses. I use fortnightly disposables but buy dailies to carry as emergency spares, or for use in water sports. Mind you rarely need to use spares, probably out of date by now ... Time to bin them and shave 2 grammes of weight  26

ChuckB | 8 years ago
0 likes

As a glasses wearer I ended up getting contacts, which have worked ALMOST perfectly, it is a Challange to read my Garmin with the contacts in, but they do allow me to wear anything. I have concluded my first use of a stick on reading lenses which install on any set of glasses, so if you just need reading glasses, or have really old eyes which fail at everything close up with contacts, then check out a product called Hydrotac. I got them from Amazon and installed them on my Oakley Radarblock glasses and they are the business, and are less then 20 quid. Just make sure you clean everything in very warm water, and let them sit for 30 minutes before you head out.

Added photos of these on my Oakleys

Alf0nse | 8 years ago
0 likes

I wear lenses and glasses depending on my mood and the weather.
Lenses are great and all but not super for the eyes especially when exerting yourself
So when I can get away with it I'll wear my Oakley cross link glasses instead of lenses

userfriendly | 8 years ago
0 likes

Never had problems with contacts due to sweat getting in my eye - as for bugs, preventing that is what my cycling shades are for.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

i used to use contact lenses, great till you get something in your eye i.e sweat, bug etc....

Had to remove one by the side of the road then re-insert it using my sunglasses as a mirror so i could carry on after getting sweat in my eye and the lens had moved

Now wear glasses with reaction lenses

Can be bought quite cheaply, go nice and dark in bright sunlight but lighten up if it becomes duller or clear if its dark or you step indoors

You can even get prescription sunglasses relatively cheap, mine are actually prescription sunglasses fitted with reaction lenses as i prefer that style of glasses

Check out the link for great deals

www.selectspecs.com

rch30 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Try these - my wife says they are great - https://www.dualeyewear.com/

userfriendly | 8 years ago
0 likes

I second that. Made the switch from glasses to contacts when I got back into cycling, never looked back. In fact kicked myself for not doing it sooner. Also, daily disposables may be slightly more expensive than monthlies, but the reduced faff and lesser risk of infection more than make up for it.

Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Contact Lenses. If you have only a mild prescription daily disposables should work for you. I've been using contacts for 20 years and have -6.5 eyes yet a lot of people have never seen me wearing glasses.

Latest Comments