Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tri bike or roadbike

I had a specialized tarmac that i sold a year ago and i then started mountainbiking instead. Now i feel that mountainbike is not as funny as it was when i was young and i miss my Tarmac.
I bike by my self almost 100% of the time and i have besinning to think of a Specialized shiv instead of a venge. Is that a stupid bike to buy, not doing triathlons?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Vector | 8 years ago
0 likes

Judge..im from sweden...is that good or bad?...

Joeinpoole replied to Vector | 8 years ago
0 likes
Vector wrote:

Judge..im from sweden...is that good or bad?...

He meant that the Shiv attracted the attention of bike thieves ... so it is bad in that respect.

Have you considered the Diverge from Specialized? Very versatile as it is good for both roads and trails.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

I had a Shiv pro race last year. It was like a bloody thieving scumbag magnet.

Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes

Riding tri bikes basically means riding only on your own- they're unsuited to group riding and usually banned from organised riding, be it club rides or sportives.

Vector | 8 years ago
0 likes

That was just the information that I needed. I'll go for a Venge or tarmac instead.

3cylinder | 8 years ago
0 likes

TT/tri bikes are the equivalent of an open top track car (think ariel atom rather than MX5) - great for doing that specific thing, but compromised or useless for the rest.

I suspect there are very few people who have a TT bike and not a road bike as well, and they will be people who just got the bike for a triathlon and do 90% of their cycling on a turbo.

Get the regular road bike.

giobox | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I'd say its kinda stupid. I am fortunate to have both road bikes and a tri-bike, and the tri-bike spends most of its life in the garage.

Climbing on a tri-bike sucks. Unless you plan to ride flat routes constantly or do triathlons, a normal road bike is considerably more versatile. They are also not particularly comfortable to ride out of the saddle either.

Latest Comments