Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

To change or not to change....

Hi. So I have my first sportive of the year on Sunday and decided to give my bike a quick check over. However, I noticed that the rear derailleur cable had frayed slightly (a couple of strands) and was wondering whether I should change it or leave it?? What do folks reckon?

Matt

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

mattydubster | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers, I was sat twiddling my thumbs so just went and changed it. Took about 20 minutes but at least I'm happy now  4

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you're not happy to tackle the job any LBS should have it done in ten minutes, including adjusting your gears.

mattydubster | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yer that's my problem, it's frayed before the clamp - in my eyes it's a weakness that I could do something about now I guess.. I know it could stretch a bit during the sportive (92 miler and I'm biking to and from the event as well) but I do have an in line adjuster.

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

Where has it frayed? If it's after the cable clamp on the derailleur it hardly matters, but if it's before ....... would you kick yourself if the £2 cable broke, leaving you miles from home and stuck in one gear?

chokofingrz | 8 years ago
0 likes

Live life on the edge, it's not like it's the brake cable.

Latest Comments