Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Eastway

Hey all,

I've been looking at carbon framed bikes at the lower end of the price spectrum and I've come across this Eastway number

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-r20-2014/

The price looks excellent for the spec. The only problem is I can't find any review apart from a few bloggers who have remarkably similar accounts of it. This is normally a bit of a clincher for me - without any local stockists, I'd like to at least see a couple of decent reviews before taking the plunge.

Has anyone tried this bike, or had any experience of Eastway bikes in general?

Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

mtbtomo | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've seen one or two reviews of other Eastway bikes and they've been pretty good. If it was genuinely sold at full price and is now nearly half price, I don't see how you can go wrong.

SRAM groupsets are lighter than Shimano for any particular level, and hardly anyone makes a bad bike nowadays.

What else can you get for £700????? Carbon Giant TCRs on Paulscycles start at ~£1k. Something from Ribble or Planet-X might be sub-£1k.

Depends what you have now, and what you're after. I doubt any £700 bike will feel like a £4k race bike but most will be more than acceptable and the differences between brands will be hard to tell without back to back testing.

bendip | 8 years ago
1 like

I ordered the R2.0 through cyclescheme, so it'll cost £475 ish, it hasn't arrived yet so i can't advise on the bike at all, except it seems fair value considering the spec..i read the blog reviews too and also one from the telegraph preceding the tdf last year, Rod Gilmour riding the uk tour stages of the William Wates memorial trust, he described it as powerful and comfortable..the caveat there is the writer is the papers hockey columnist !..we shall see..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/10942724/What...

ribena | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought a FB3.0 flat bar hybrid for 350 in the sale from Wiggle. Been really happy with it so far. The original tyres were of dubious quality, but I put some 35mm Vittoria Hypers on and its been doing 20-30 mlies a day commuting for a month or so with no problems.

One (very minor) issue is that there is a cowel around the dropout that prevents some pannier racks from fitting, tho this probably isn't relevant for a carbon road bike...

Rod Marton | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if this is of any help, but I recently purchased a CX2.0 as a winter bike, and it is very good. Climbing and acceleration are a bit limited, but it's tough, munches potholes and great fun to ride. Just what you want from a winter bike and it's certainly had a lot of admirers. However if Eastway take this philosophy over into a pure road bike it might be a bit of a problem: I certainly prefer my road bikes a little more performance orientated. I don't know exactly what you want or what sort of riding you will be doing, but don't expect it to be an out-and-out racer.

Latest Comments