Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Long or short cage mech for 50-34 / 11-28?

Hi,

I'm currently running an 11-32t cassette in conjunction with 50-34 chainset. In order to do this, the bike shop I bought the pieces through advised that I should run a long cage rear mech.

I'm going to change the cassette at the rear for an 11-28t and have a short cage mech available. One of the reasons for swapping cassettes is a result of the fact that I've never been able to get the indexing quite right; the bike shop I used in the first place made me aware of the fact that this would be likely as it is pushing the derailleur to its limit.

I have a newer short cage derailleur in my spare parts bin. As I am reducing the size of the cassette, is the long cage mech necessary, or is a short cage sufficient?

Thanks, Dan.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Yorkshie Whippet | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cxr94di

Two things come to mind, better with a longer cage mech and will need a new longer chain.

CXR94Di2 replied to Yorkshie Whippet | 8 years ago
0 likes
Yorkshie Whippet wrote:

Cxr94di

Two things come to mind, better with a longer cage mech and will need a new longer chain.

If I was doing this for myself I would put on a larger derailleur and chain if needed, but his budget was tight and time was short. With my fiddling of cassettes and a little research it indicated this was actually a quick fix for a heavy rider doing his first very hilly 100 mile sportive

TheFatAndTheFurious | 8 years ago
0 likes

The short cage works fine for me on Ultegra 6700 50/34x11/28

nortonpdj | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ultegra 50 34 works perfectly with 12 30 on a short cage.
It will work with a 32 on a short cage if you adjust the b screw (you may have to reverse the screw - this depends on your frame/hanger), but you *must* avoid cross chaining.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Resurrecting this,

I have just fitted an HG80 11-34 to my mates Boardman with a short cage derailleur. He had a 12-26 before. His chain set is 50/34 He cannot cross chain on the large front gear but can use the 30t easily. On the small chainring he can use all of the cassette

He wanted a large range cass for his first 100 mile sportive, which is the wiggle peak punisher. What a course to pick!

OnTheRopes | 9 years ago
0 likes

Short will be fine up to 28

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Short will be fine....sound like new bike shop time if they can't adjust rear derailleurs properly  7

druff | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all. It's a 105 rear mech, probably about 3 years old, albeit hardly used.

bikebot | 9 years ago
0 likes

You can even just about use a short cage on an 11-32 if you're careful not to cross the gears. I have that on my CX, which works fine as it's a 36/46 on the front so less total reach.

WDG | 9 years ago
0 likes

That's a short cage. I run 11-32 so have a medium.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 9 years ago
0 likes

What rear mech are you using? The manufacturer will give technical specifications stating the maximum recommended number of teeth that the mech will handle. The number will vary according to make and model.

Batchy | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have no problems using a short cage rear mech with 11 -28 and 52 /36 chain set. Shimano Ultegra 6700 mech and sprockets 6800 chain set. So 50/34 should be not be any different .

Latest Comments