Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Update: Another wheel upgrade thread; Fulcrum Racing 3 ordered

Ordered my first set of wheels today. Went for Fulcrum racing 3s as I've heard a lot of good things about them on here. They will be going on my 2014 Specialized Tarmac Sport. The wheels I'm currently using are the stock axis 2.0 which weigh over 3kg including tyres etc. hoping that I can shave off the guts of 1kg. I'm just wondering if they will make much difference performance wise. I'm 183cm 69kg and I live in a hilly area.

Here's my strava cycle from today: https://www.strava.com/activities/285185310

I'm going to be moving up from the 23mm Specialized Turbo elite tyres to 25mm vittoria open corsa cx.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Carson | 8 years ago
0 likes

Pretty happy with the wheels now. Have went back to the 23mm tyres. Overall they are a big improvement from the Standard Axis 2.0 wheels.

MrPrice | 8 years ago
0 likes

Good stuff. I'm considering Racing 3s at the moment - interested in how you get on with them!

Carson | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hoping to get the wheels on Monday will update when I've got them

The.MVP | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just upgraded to the Fulcrum Racing 3's from Mavic CXP23's myself for my summer bike, which had its first outing of 2015 at the weekend. On the same flat 28 mile circuit they felt much quicker than their predecessors, Strava times not significantly improved but the weather is never exactly the same two days in a row either. Maybe it was just wishful thinking?

dotdash | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've just gone to 5's and they are amazing, much better than I am so I need to work harder to do them justice.

Sniffer | 8 years ago
0 likes

I went to 3s after damaging a set of Mavic Aksiums.

They fulfilled the main requirement of an upgrade. They made me feel good when I rode the bike with them.

Am I faster - maybe. Do I feel faster because they accelerate quicker - yes.

....... and they look quite good on my bike.

livestrongnick | 8 years ago
0 likes

I moved upto racing 5's in January and can't believe i didn't do it sooner. Bike feels great. 2010 Specialized Sectuer Sport Triple.

Carson | 8 years ago
0 likes

All sounds good! I'm looking forward to trying the 25mm tyres but the Specialized Turbos have done approx 750 miles over the winter and I've only had one flat from a nasty thorn.

Nixster | 8 years ago
0 likes

They'll certainly feel better...

I'd say you will probably see a small improvement on short sharp climbs and routes which involve accelerating out of corners a lot. Maybe even a measurable difference.*

But getting fitter and stronger will make a much bigger difference. Sad but true  3

*N.B. no real science was used in reaching this conclusion.

chilievans | 8 years ago
0 likes

I changed from RS10 to ultegra and saw massive improvements acceleration comfort and cornering.You'll see the same mate and 25mm tyres are much comfier than 23mm and I find I can corner better with mine too

Latest Comments