Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice needed. What Bike should I choose

Hi
I have just joined our Cycle2Work scheme, I have been offered up to £1000, I already cycle using a Specialized Cross Trail Expert (09). I Cycle 4days/week to work approx 15ml round trip av speed 16mph.
I'm 6ft tall, not a light weight (but getting there) and want to compete with my son in a couple of Mini Tri’s later this year.
I can choose between Specialized/Trek/Cooper/Giant
The three bikes I am looking at are:
Specialized Tri cross sport (£849)
Specialized Secteur Elite (£1000)
Trek Pilot 2.1 (£1000)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

gembo | 14 years ago
0 likes

Have just completed a great deal with Martin from South Downs Bike shop and now eagerly awaiting delivery of a SPECIALIZED Roubaix Elite 30  1  4

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

sounds to me like you want a road/sportive bike as opposed to a 'crosser if you're actually wanting to do some racing as well as more general riding. a single bike for commuting and racing is always going to be a bit of a compromise; you've picked two sportive bikes which are good all-rounders. you should look at the road bikes too, the trek 2 series and the specialized allez. For giant the Defy is the one to check out.

whather you'll get on better with a sportive iron or a slightly more poised road machine depends on which position suits you, and the bikes themselves will vary so it's a good idea to ride as many as you can - comfort is a perfomance advantage, don't forget!

Latest Comments