Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tribars have damaged handlebars

Last night I put a pair of tribars onto my road bike to take part in a TT but when I've taken them off I've noticed a little bit of damage to the bars (see photo). It's a bit more than cosmetic damage, the bolt for the elbow pad has went through the handlebar anodising and started to 'bite' into the alloy (on both sides). It's only a fraction of a millimeter but do you think it would be wise to replace the bars or should I just cover up the marks with tape and not worry?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

FMOAB | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yup, think I would probably have made the same mistake. Seems like an odd design unless these ones just had longer screws than normal?

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I guess that that is the clamp that is used to tighten the actual extensions into the bracket...in which case you may need to cut the bolt down a tiny bit or scrap the bars, I wouldn't ride with them if they tighten into the bars.

HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

They were Profile T2 Bars. Not sure how old they are, I got a loan of them for the day. No need for a torque wrench, usually any nut or bolt I tighten is always 'finger' tight rather than 'hand' tight. But even though I wasn't tightening the armrests hugely I wasn't aware that the armrest bolt was exposed (see pic).

Perhaps you're supposed to put a shim underneath to stop any damage and my friend has forgot to give me this. I've ordered new bars anyway, I'll give her the bill  14

FMOAB | 9 years ago
0 likes

BTW without wanting to be too judgemental, if you can do that when fitting elbow pads, I would recommend you buy a torque wrench before you do any more work on your bike.

FMOAB | 9 years ago
0 likes

Agree that you shouldn't ride those bars, I'm far from uptight about scratches and dents and their impact on structural integrity, but that looks nasty.

What make and model are the tri bars, so that others can wartch out for this possibility and avoid it?

FMOAB | 9 years ago
0 likes

Duplicate deleted

Ghostie | 9 years ago
0 likes

Odd design of tribar for the bolts to go through like that. My set (Vision) have put a few surface scratches from metal on metal, and the elbow pads have the tendency to rip the bar tape, which is easily replaceable. The elbow pads screws don't go near to the surface of the bars as they are raised. Even if I removed the raisers, the bars have no holes for the screws from the elbow pad section to come through and contact with the bike bars. Personally, I'd replace the drop bars and get a different set of tribars, which tend to need to be secured tightly in my experience to prevent slipping down if you happen to force down on them. Might happen again otherwise.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

*user that over tightens tribars damages handlebars.
FTFY
Don't ride that unless you want to have a closeup meeting with the tarmac....

Latest Comments