Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First road bike advice...

Hi all,

I've just joined up here on road.cc after years on the MTB forums as I'm now about to venture into the world of road bikes. So first of all "hello!".

Second of all, I'm after a little bit of advice...

I've got a shortlist of 3 bikes that I'm toying with buying. Two are off-the-shelf, the other is a self-build. I've built and maintained my own mountain bikes in the past so I'm quite confident in building a road machine, my real question is one of value for money. I've been offered a brand new Wilier Izoard Xp for £799 (full warranty, etc.) which runs 105 shifters and RD, FSA chain set and Tektro brakes. It's carbon frame and forks, and own brand finishing kit. The second option is this special edition Sensa Lombardia from Merlin - carbon again, with pretty much full 105 http://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-lombardia-limited-edition-57880.html - it's £30 more than the Wilier. The final option is to build my own using a Planet-X Pro Carbon or RT58 carbon frame. The thing is, I really want to do a Campy build. I've ridden 105 before and used Shimano on all my MTBs but I rode a friend's Athena-equipped Ribble and really liked the feel of the Campy groupset. If I bought a £300 Pro Carbon frame and a £300 Veloce groupset, £150 Khamsin wheelset, plus headset, finishing kit, etc it'd cost me more than either the Sensa or the Wilier...

...so what do I go for?

I'm stumped.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

phebeM | 8 years ago
0 likes

41 Build your own. I have seen your confidence in this. Make your own companion.

mattydubster | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would defo go with the Campag if that's what you really want. I have SRAM on my mtb, 105 on my cyclocross and I built up a Kinesis Aithien with full Campag Chorus - to me, the Campag is amazing but I guess it's horses for courses really. I know some people who swear by Shimano.

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

The thing is, I really want to do a Campy build."

Go with what you really want. Anything else will be a disappointment.

TRIKSIKLISTKEN | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you use Campagnolo Ergo Changers when they need a service, instead of the dustbin and considerable expense, Campg. is completely serviceable for very little. Check out Year one Cycles, St.Ives. Also, Campag. left hand front derailleur ergo has 5 to 6 clicks, very useful to avoid chain rub.Lastly, Campagnolo has that certain charisma! It holds it's price too.
Unfortunately, you cannot mix groupset parts with anything else except chainset, chain and rear sprocket, i.e. a nice lightweight alloy block from Taiwan. Also, the Taiwanese do a beautiful set of lightweight anodised brakes for £88, see e-bay.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I disagree completely with Shep, drop bars mean you have way more positions than an MTB plus you will ride out of the saddle a lot more on a road bike.
I bought an eBay special a couple of years ago, an ally Olmo frame from the 90's with new Campag kit; Khamsin wheels and mainly Veloce groupset. The wheels have been brilliant, over 11000 miles now still dead straight.
Veloce is good too, most people say buttons for downshifting are crap but the Veloce ones work well and I can (just) about reach them from the drops. The whole brake/shifter thing looks a lot nicer than a lot of the competition too.
In your position I'd have a good look at ebay - I think you're more likely to get a bargain.

Colin Peyresourde replied to Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes
Daveyraveygravey wrote:

I disagree completely with Shep, drop bars mean you have way more positions than an MTB plus you will ride out of the saddle a lot more on a road bike.

I completely disagree with this statement. Anyone who has watched road bike racing and mountain bike racing knows which one you will be in the saddle for longer.

Frame fit and feel are the most important aspects so try a built version and go from there. I would also advocate trying bikes just to get a sense of what you do and don't like.

Shep73 replied to Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes
Daveyraveygravey wrote:

I bought an eBay special a couple of years ago, an ally Olmo frame from the 90's with new Campag kit; Khamsin wheels and mainly Veloce groupset. The wheels have been brilliant, over 11000 miles now still dead straight.
Veloce is good too, most people say buttons for downshifting are crap but the Veloce ones work well and I can (just) about reach them from the drops. The whole brake/shifter thing looks a lot nicer than a lot of the competition too.
In your position I'd have a good look at ebay - I think you're more likely to get a bargain.

Have you ever ridden a mtb or a road bike, your first statement is absolute rubbish.

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Buy something amazing second hand, not a 'starter bike'. You'll quickly get sick of something at the low end and want to upgrade. This way, you'll start with something great, and when you get the bug, you can upgrade from there.

AJ101 replied to matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes
drmatthewhardy wrote:

Buy something amazing second hand, not a 'starter bike'. You'll quickly get sick of something at the low end and want to upgrade. This way, you'll start with something great, and when you get the bug, you can upgrade from there.

Solid idea. The wisdom in the 'olden' days was always spend the money on the best frame possible then you've got something to hang fancy components on later when you get more cash. Mind you this was in the days of steel frames that you knew would last you years and years.

There's an in-between option between brand new and second hand - shop soiled or ex demonstrator - There's a Hoy with Ultegra for £35 over your budget in the page of shop soiled bikes that we're testing - Keep your eyes on that page, and the campag groupsets page. Unfortunately the bike shops don't discount Campag group sets all that much compared to others like Shimano and Sram etc, they know they are going to sell them anyway...

edit: the Hoy is large, very large.

userfriendly | 8 years ago
0 likes

Seconding OnTheRopes up there, you won't beat the retailers on price. You will however, quite easily, beat them on style. Handpick each component yourself, and you'll end up with exactly the bike you want. Can't put a price tag on that.

Dr Mcr | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ribble currently have an 872 with athena for less than 1100 and there is a kuota corsa with athena for less than a grand if it's the right size for you.

Dr Mcr | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ribble currently have an 872 with athena for less than 1100 and there is a kuota corsa with athena for less than a grand if it's the right size for you.

OnTheRopes | 8 years ago
0 likes

Off the shelf bike will always be cheaper, the big brands get such good prices on groupsets and finishing kits that a home build will always cost more.
Of course you will get more satisfaction and learn so much about your bike by building it yourself and you will get the kit you want on it.

Shep73 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I did the same, (mtber who got into road cycling) I would try and ride all 3, I would also get a bike fit at the shops on each, the one thing you will notice over mtbing is being in one position for a long time so getting something that fits is far more important than looks. With the budget you have I would also consider second, try and get the best frame (fit and material) you can.

Latest Comments