Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stockport to Manchester to Bolton

It's now 3 years since I used the Bike to Work to purchase a road bike that has served me well for leisure in the other direction namely the Peak District.

If I ever used the bike as it was originally purchased and commuted. What road routes would be deemed best for safety and ensuring I don't go too far off line.

My car commute is 66 miles there and back and takes me round the M60 via the Trafford Centre. This would only be an occasional ride and reserved for the height of summer. Curious to hear your opinions. Cheers James

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Ivorcader | 9 years ago
0 likes

I do Salford University to Bolton everyday and choices in terms of reasonably direct routes are limited due to limited no. of crossing points for the M60. Choices aren't great I'm afraid. A6 all the way isn't too bad (avoid the motorway like section of the A6 by using Bolton Rd just after Salford police station). A666 through Pendlebury, Kearsley and Farnworth is reasonably wide and OK once you have crossed the M60. There is the off road route NCN55, the start point in Worsley is difficult to find, surface poor in places (not recommended for a road bike) and the end bit in Little Hulton is strewn with dog shit, broken glass, lost hope and shattered dreams.

My recommendation is to get the train to Darwen (or beyond) with plenty of routes to Bolton over the West Pennine moors. It will be mainly downhill but you could include the Belmont Rivington climb (and descent) which is about 600ft in a couple miles I think.

vonhelmet replied to Ivorcader | 9 years ago
0 likes
Ivorcader wrote:

IThere is the off road route NCN55, the start point in Worsley is difficult to find, surface poor in places (not recommended for a road bike) and the end bit in Little Hulton is strewn with dog shit, broken glass, lost hope and shattered dreams.

I'll vouch for this. I'm trying to work out a decent route into central Manchester from just south of Bolton which doesn't involve the double roundabout at junction 13 of the M60, and I tried NCN55 and it was shocking.

Manchestercyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

I agree with the above, but wouldn't. Go into Oldham since its a climb you could do without if you're. Trying to get to work. Keep south of it (Failsworth) and go through Moston (past Neil orrells shop good for spares) and then on to Middleton.

StevePurcell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Stockport-Ashton UL-Oldham-Middleton-Heaton Park-Whitefield-Radcliffe-Bolton
about 24 miles

couldgetacarforthat | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just been on t'internet and I think this potentially not my best idea.

Unsurprisingly and in common with most commuters it looks like there is major potential for accidents. At least it's a risk I'm not happy with.

The A6 from Stockport into Manchester I am familiar with and I know it's not a good start.

Googlemap wants me to continue along the A6 but I agree with you that the A56 through to Whitefield and on to Bolton via Radcliffe looks better.

Irritatingly it's only 26 miles

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

So.... you've used the bike-to-work scheme to buy a bike that you haven't ridden to work, you dastardly benefit cheat....

Anyway...I'd go straight up the A6 into Manchester; it's a bit crap, but you need to get to where you're going. Then dodge around the city centre and aim to head out up the A56 towards Whitefield.
The A6 out of Manchester is a poor road for bicycles.
The A56 has it's moments, especially around the motorway roundabout, but is OK.
Then take the B6473 in Whitefield towards Radcliffe and go through to the A665 which will take you up to the A58, turn left and down into Bolton.

I make it about 18 miles each way.

dotdash | 9 years ago
0 likes

You might be best going into the centre of manchester then coming out via Prestwich over to Bolton

Latest Comments