Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A19 near Middlesborough to be permanently closed to Bicycles

Just saw this announced on Twitter from Tees Traffic:

Quote:

CYCLISTS are to be prohibited permanently from using the A19 between the A174 Parkway and the A689 Wolviston in the next coming weeks.

Original Tweet can be viewed here: https://twitter.com/TeesTraffic/status/583274221754847232

Personally, from looking on google maps it doesn't look like an attractive road to cycle on, but I find banning bicycles from major arteries a worrying precedent.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

bdsl | 8 years ago
0 likes
EK Spinner | 8 years ago
0 likes

A720 Edinburgh Bypass and the A725 Glasgow Southern Orbital (East kilbride to Newton Mearns) both have these bans in Scotland. BUT these roads have both been built in relatively recent years (as opposed to upgrades of existing roads they were built over green fields) and the bans were in place from the day they were opened. I seem to remember they are catagorised as "Special roads".

Not sure but I think the Forth bridge is in the same category (although it is Motorway either end the bridge itself is an A class road)

I fully expect a similar ban on the Aberdeen city bypass when it gets built.

Metaphor | 8 years ago
0 likes

In France, if cycles are banned from a main road, a decent alternate route has to be signposted: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclable/9632783315/in/datetaken/

This should be demanded in this case.

Man of Lard replied to Metaphor | 8 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Personally, from looking on google maps it doesn't look like an attractive road to cycle on, but I find banning bicycles from major arteries a worrying precedent.

Edinburgh City Bypass - A720 - cycles have been banned for years (but the alternative is signed).

From memory the A42 from the end of the M42 to the M1 is also a road from which many classes of vehicle are prohibited (it's a motorway in all but name) - same with sections of the A55 North Wales expressway. Same applies to the A1 from Oldcraighall to Dunbar - it's also a road from which many classes of vehicle are prohibited.

bdsl | 8 years ago
0 likes

April fool perhaps.

bdsl | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think this is the first time I've heard of cycling being banned on any UK road other than a motorway. Like https://twitter.com/VeNT666 I'm curious to know what law it's based on.

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

What was the old a19 will be there mostly if my memory serves me right. But it's a while since I've lived in those parts.

gazza_d | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's a bloody horrible road to drive on (actually all the A19 is from Tyneside down & though Teesside).

I just wonder what the alternatives are. My daily commute runs parallel to the A19 for about a mile & it's a muddy bridleway

joemmo replied to gazza_d | 8 years ago
0 likes
gazza_d wrote:

It's a bloody horrible road to drive on (actually all the A19 is from Tyneside down & though Teesside).

I just wonder what the alternatives are. My daily commute runs parallel to the A19 for about a mile & it's a muddy bridleway

Is that the path that runs from Shiremoor toward Battle Hill Gazza? Just wondering as I often use that route

gazza_d replied to joemmo | 8 years ago
0 likes
joemmo wrote:
gazza_d wrote:

Is that the path that runs from Shiremoor toward Battle Hill Gazza? Just wondering as I often use that route

Nope, south of the Tyne from Testos down to the A1290. There's a nearby road route, but is dangerous at peak times due to speeding ratrunners

joemmo replied to gazza_d | 8 years ago
0 likes
gazza_d wrote:
joemmo wrote:
gazza_d wrote:

Nope, south of the Tyne from Testos down to the A1290. There's a nearby road route, but is dangerous at peak times due to speeding ratrunners

Ah ok. I would never ride on any part of the A19. Not a chance.

Anyway, this is just the start of it:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/roads-revolution-11bn-pro...

the poor old motorist, when will the war on them end?

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

If this is the case, there needs to be another category of road. Ie a road that isn't a motorway but bikes still can't use. I know some of the A19 and wouldn't choose to ride on it but by the same token I DO ride on the A24 in rush hour and don't find it too bad.

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Knowing the road and the traffic that uses it a very smart idea . The alternative roads may be longer but so will your life.

Latest Comments