Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SURVEY: How do you choose your bike tyres ?

Hi everyone !

I'm Clement, french student & cyclist for many years. As part of my studies, I'm carrying out a survey to know how do you choose and purchase your bike tyres. So I've made a REALLY short survey (only 12 questions) less than 2 min.

I'm open to all your constructive remarks and opinions  3
Thanks a lot for your contribution and the short time spent to help me !

Here's the link : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OSNesGtrzONKRak8ogsQ_kts4JtmbsQVSDpbECv...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

ped | 8 years ago
0 likes

I hope you get the data you need, Clement. It's a nice change to see a student survey that's short and focused!

glynr36 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Suppleness and TPI aren't the same, for the reasons in velovoice's link.
Suppleness is a deciding factor though, and you can have a supple and tough tyre as well.

velovoice | 8 years ago
0 likes

The survey falls at the first hurdle with whether you use the tyres your main bike came with. My main bike is a custom build completely specc'd by me, so I chose the tyres and of course I ride them!

Kadinkski replied to velovoice | 8 years ago
0 likes
velovoice wrote:

The survey falls at the first hurdle with whether you use the tyres your main bike came with. My main bike is a custom build completely specc'd by me, so I chose the tyres and of course I ride them!

So put 'Yes' then.

velovoice | 8 years ago
0 likes

TPI should not be the deciding factor. Here's why (written by engineer Jan Heine, one of the world's foremost experts on tyre construction and performance):
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/tpi-and-tire-performance/

AsOriginalAsYou | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for TPI I run Vittoria Open Pave (if I can afford it) and they don't really fit your metric of toughness.

Filled in though!

Gobby | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your remark ! For me suppleness was included in the term "toughness" but it's true that's an item i could put separately.

(sorry for my eventual spelling mistakes)

Goyt | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just did this, suppleness (TPI) is an important factor for me when choosing road bike tyres but wasn't an option.

Latest Comments