Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which bike computer? Automatic Garmin to Strava sync?

Hi, I'm having real trouble deciding on my next cycling computer.

I want something that maps my GPS and can upload it straight to Strava/Garmin Connect without using my laptop. Upload through my phone is great too but I use the laptop once a year and hate using it.

At the moment I use a small Cateye unit and love the fact that it lasts over a year on one battery but it doesn't give enough info as I'm planning to us Cadence and Heart Rate monitors. I'm happy to use my phone for SatNav but if a Garmin's that much better, I'd be happy to buy it, if I can make it sync automatically to Strava.

Garmin looks great but how do you make it automatically record the data to Strava without me doing anything? Also can I upload a Strava route onto the Garmin?

My perfect device would be the Cateye Smart but it doesn't give enough info on the screen without pressing the button and staring at the screen which can be dangerous.

I commute every day and want the computer to record all data.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

JoshCroxton1 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you find you're in need of a map and prompted directions, then the 810 is necessary over the 510. If not, then save yourself the ££.

I have the 810, as I've just moved to a new city and I get lost ALL THE BLOODY TIME! After a ride, I'll save the ride on the Garmin, turn on Bluetooth on phone & Garmin (you can leave these on permanently if you wish - or if you want to livetrack your ride) Then the phone and Garmin will auto sync, and - as if by magic - your ride is on your garmin connect account, and more importantly, Strava. (When setting up, you'll need to go to Strava and connect your GarminConnect account and select auto upload to Strava)

For me, on 2 occasions it's not uploaded to Strava for a few hours. Can't seem to find a reason for this or a way to speed it up. Just have to get over it & wait.

Battery life is around 6-8 hours, or around a week's worth of 30 minute e/w commutes plus syncing. The fact that I bring the garmin indoors to sync means charging it has become 2nd nature and I tend to charge it every other evening, just in case I decide to add a loop onto my commute home.

As for uploading Strava routes to the Garmin, I've not tried it, but I guess it'll be as simple as copying a gpx file onto the correct folder on the garmin when plugged in to laptop. I tend to create routes on Garmin Connect, then sync with my phone and the route is there ready to follow.

Hope to have helped.

alanbboyd replied to JoshCroxton1 | 8 years ago
0 likes
JoshCroxton1 wrote:

As for uploading Strava routes to the Garmin, I've not tried it, but I guess it'll be as simple as copying a gpx file onto the correct folder on the garmin when plugged in to laptop. I tend to create routes on Garmin Connect, then sync with my phone and the route is there ready to follow.

I use ridewithgps to create the routes, and their instructions should hold good for dumping the gpx file onto the Garmin from anywhere:

Works for the 1000, HTH.

CharlieTwoWheels | 8 years ago
0 likes

Guys, thanks for all the advice.
I am now the owner of a Garmin 1000 and love it. I got the full bundle with cadence, speed and heart rate and full EU maps from Rose in Germany for 300 quid. Expensive but SO much available data.

theraggyone | 8 years ago
0 likes

I got a garmin 810 and have to say im really impressed with it it works brilliantly syncing with strava, endomondo and myfitnesspal via my smart phone and I have had no issues at all with the navigation either. I paid £270 from bike discount For the bundle that included heart rate monitor, cadance\speed sensor,out front mount and city navigator maps of Europe. IT was much cheaper from Germany due to the strength of the pound vs the euro  1

0 likes

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I didn't realise the upload was so easy to Strava. I reckon for the price difference, the Garmin 810 may be the best bet for what I need. 1000 isn't worth the extra money for me but by the time I get something like the Cateye and then a phone mount, I will have spent about £200 so may as well spend a tiny bit more and have something that'll do everything in one.
Much appreciated comments.

Nixster | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just been through this myself. For me, with no desire for mapping the Garmin 510 was the best option although I was very tempted by the Cateye Strada Smart. There were too many reviews saying it was unreliable though, similarly the Wahoo device, so Garmin won the day. Syncs wirelessly using my phone as above (remember to link Strava and Garmin Connect before your first upload though).

Only downside for me is the 510 does seem a bit bulky when compared to say the 500. And the price of course, although Handtec did it for £223 inc Vat with HR and cadence sensors which was cheaper than most.

It does feel like in about 18 months someone is going to get the whole smartphone with separate display thing to work but apparently it's not there yet.

Namasteve replied to Nixster | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have not used it personally, but the Wahoo RFLKT appears to answer the "smartphone with separate display" need. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/tag/wahoo-rflkt

divingrob | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm in the process of looking for a new computer as my 705 has just began playing up far too often for me to rely on it.

Narrowed it down to Tourer plus,810 and the cyclo 550

tslocombe | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have the EDGE 510 and it's linked to my smartphone via bluetooth (no Wifi). As I press the stop button and then save it is automatically uploaded via the Garmin Connect app on the phone. My Garmin and Strava accounts are linked so I very quickly (usually) get a notification from the Strava app that the ride is ready. I just confirm which bike I was using and then "save activity" and there it is. All this can be done without turning on a laptop or using any cables.

The EDGE 510 itself is pretty small, battery last for ages (>10 hours), and looks good on the bike, particularly if you have an out-front mount. The speed and cadence sensors also work well.

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

If i were you i would sit down with a piece of paper and list all the things you want and rank them in order.
I would also list all the things that you would perceive as bad an rank them in order.
So now attribute all the things you want and bad things against each device. Add the good, subtract the bad. Bob's your uncle, you have a winner.

I have a garmin edge 500. Post ride ritual is come home take the garmin off the bike. Fire up the laptop and plug in garmin. Wash bike, have shower, get something to eat. Sit down at the laptop which has automatically loaded to garmin connect and strava. Job done. Turn off the laptop. Job done.

Do the new Edge x10 range connect to Wifi? Can uploads be done straight through Wifi with no need for a computer?

Buy right, buy once  1

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

I got a Garmin 1000 recently, added it to my home wireless network (didn't bother with the phone synch) and everything is available on Strava before I've finished putting my bike away when I get home.

From a charging PoV, I get around 8 hours out of one charge on the Garmin, I'm a weekend rider and it will happily do two 3-4 hour rides over a couple of weeks before charging. I'm kinda used to having to charge something (be it phone, tablet, garmin) frequently so it hasn't bothered me.

EDIT: I just needed to link my Strava and Garmin accounts once at the start, this was simple enough that I've completely forgotten what was involved.

0 likes

My options and issues with each are:

Garmin 810/1000 - Great but needs charging all the time. Quite bulky to have on the bike all the time. Expensive (although, if it's wicked, I don't mind spending), shows exactly the data I want though.

Garmin 510 - Perfect but needs laptop to sync (won't do it over the phone)

Cateye smart - Great battery life, syncs automatically with the phone to Strava but only shows 2 data fields on each view.

Topeak panobike - Great on-screen data, syncs to phone automatically, DOESN'T sync to Strava!

Wahoo SBTRKT - Needs smartphone or it does nothing, great on-screen data though.

Polar CS500 - Great on-screen data, no GPS, needs laptop.

Does anyone have any others that I wouldn't have thought of? Or am I wrong on what I've written from someone who owns one of these?

At the moment Garmin 810/1000 is at the top
Thanks

The Rake replied to CharlieTwoWheels | 8 years ago
0 likes
CharlieTwoWheels wrote:

Garmin 510 - Perfect but needs laptop to sync (won't do it over the phone)

At the moment Garmin 810/1000 is at the top
Thanks

My Garmin 510 syncs to Strava on phone/tablet via Bluetooth. Only needed laptop to upload route info for sportive. Sync up Garmin Connect account and Strava

Latest Comments