Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shoes for shallow feet....??

Hello all!
I'm about to buy my first pair of road cycling shoes. I'm a UK size 10 but have quite shallow feet (not flat feet, just for their length there's not much meat on them!). I've tried on a couple of different pairs (Louis Garneau and Specialized) and had to do them up almost as tight as possible before they were adjusted correctly, meaning that the material is starting to fold over on itself.

Is there a good solution to this? The chap in Evans didn't seem to have any ideas. Would insoles help or is there a particular brand that is better for shallower feet?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

No clown jokes please  105

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

bfslxo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Exactly same here & existed for over 40 odd yrs without ever knowing why shoes never really fitted me particularly well until I upgraded my ski boots a few years back & the guy going through all the boots with me same 'ah, u are the same as me, low volume feet' .. say what now!! suddenly the world made sense -

Recommend any of the shoes that have the boa lacing system, they pull all the shoe in around your foot when tightening rather than velcro closures just across the top of the foot.

I have a lovely pair of near £200 Sidi's with velcro closures & a recent purchase of £80 Scotts with the boa system & I almost always wear the Scott's now as they fit so well which & are so comfortable, it pains me every time i look at the Sidi's  20

dwlpowell | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much for all your feedback!

tom_w | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yep, same here. Mine are long, wide, shallow with flat arches. The velcro straps on my Shimano MTB shoes are done up just slightly past where they should be and I get some folding, but my Giro Factor road shoes are fine, so I'd recommend having a look at those.

Scrufftie | 8 years ago
0 likes

Same problem here, I've always called them elegant feet (aero) rather than the squarer variety. I generally find Italian makes fit better with Sidi nice and snug.

All you need now is a local, reasonably priced shop which stocks every make and style so that you can try.

I'm considering a move to moldable soles, any thought?

jollygoodvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have this too, my feet look like a chicken's (can't understand strange people with domed feet).

Specialized or Giro fit OK.

Derny | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have skeleton feet. I use the narrow Sidi shoes. I put a flat neoprene insole underneath the factory insole, and I avoid the thinnest socks. I find the Sidis with all velcro closures are able to close up further than the ones with mechanical closures, although I'm not sure they are still made.

Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

Gold Leboutins? Oh, not that sort of shallow....

I'll get me coat.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

You could just put two insoles into the shoe....I know its a bit of a bodge but it does work.

chrismday | 8 years ago
0 likes

I too have long shallow feet. I find Shimano shoes fit me better than many others. I currently have their R170.

Latest Comments