Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pyrenees in the rain - best protection from rain & wind

I'm after some advice on weather gear for tricky climate climbing. In June this year I'll be doing the Raid Pyrenean.
I cycle mostly in France these days and have tackled a number of Alpine ascents already,
climbing them doesn't seem to be that much a problem it's descending where I sometimes get in a pickle.
On occasions on descending from 1600m+ I get the shakes, cold through wind chill and wet through the
sweaty ascent or rain I begin to freeze and shake and that results in the bike becoming really unstable.

So I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips on finding the right gear for incidents like this.
A fold away jacket which offers good wind protection up top and on a descent but is breathable on the way
up so I don't get ridiculously sweaty and will also keep me dry, it always rains on Le Tourmalet
apparently. I have a Gore Path Jacket which claims to be all of these but frankly isn't any of them.

Any advice would be warmly welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

In June you'll only need arm warmers and a gilet. If the weather is bad full fingered gloves and a waterproof/wind proof jacket. Anything else and you're carrying too much - you just have to tough it out.....newspaper down the front is how it used to be done.

miro_o | 8 years ago
0 likes

If it's cold and/wet throughout the ride I'd use something like a Gabba (or water repellent arm warmers and a gilet). Otherwise just regular gear. Mitts and overshoes/toe-thingies if you like.

At the top I'd put on some long fingered gloves and a pack-down racecape style jacket. It'll keep some wind and wet off. Stick these back in your jersey pockets for the next climb.

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

For a combination of wind and water resistance and high breathability, I think the Sportful Fiandre Light WindStopper Jacket is fantastic.

sonofgav replied to rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

thanks, looks like a very good suggestion if the zero availability is anything to go by.

Latest Comments