Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

wheel choice

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my wheels on my cube attempt, currently using fulcrum 7 can people advise a good option for the £300 mark and also advise how much difference I'll notice i.e.is it worth it?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Johnny25 | 8 years ago
0 likes

For those that are interested, you can get Ksyrium Elite S here for 399 Euros or about £295.

http://www.4thebike.de/wheels/roadbike/aluminium/8756/mavic-ksyrium-elit...

madhouse | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Zondas - I bloody love those wheels!

brokenorange | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for fulcrum 3's with conti gp4000s, changed my giant stock wheel set for these last year and they were great. I noticed an immediate difference, mainly in climbing which I expected but also there seem to hold the speed much better. As a footnote I swapped them back to the giants this winter to keep them nice but that lasted only 1 ride before swapping them again. It felt like riding treacle.

Johnny25 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Currently have Fulcrum Racing 3's on my Cannondale Synapse. Great wheels, roll well and can take a hammering. Put on some Continental GP 4000S tyres and you're on to a winner.

If you shop around, for another £99, you get get some Ksyrium Elite S which are even better.

chrismday replied to Johnny25 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Johnny25 wrote:

If you shop around, for another £99, you can get some Ksyrium Elite S which are even better.

+1
I have a set on my best bike and my son has a set for racing. Very nice wheels.

therevokid | 8 years ago
0 likes

zonda or fulcrum ... bloody good wheels.

Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would wait, save a bit because for 4-600 there is a huge differance, I think given the wheels you have the differance with £300 wheels will be noticable but won't be massive. I do understand that you may not want to spend that much in which case I'm a big fan of Fulkrum wheels had a pare of zeroes for over a year riding 150-200 mile week summer and autum with no problems at all. Put em away for winter, im told racing 3s are a good wheel.

TheHound | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd go Zondas at that price. You'll have some money left over for nice tyres or some unnecessary carbon/titanium bling

Nixster | 8 years ago
0 likes

Fulcrum Racing 3 (or Zondas as they are also known) or Shimano RS81.

Aksiums are fine, I used to have some, but you won't see a huge difference over the FR7s you've already got IMHO.

Tin Pony | 8 years ago
0 likes

We gotta cracking deal on some Mavic Aksiums complete wheels with tyres front and rear £170 delivered from http://www.merlincycles.com/factory-road-wheels-44123/ hope that helps good luck

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

For £300 get some handbuilt wheels. Cyclesurgery will do H Plus Son Archetypes on Miche Primato hubs for £302. Nice wide rims so they feel good with wider tyres.

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes
Bedfordshire Clanger | 8 years ago
0 likes

I thoroughly recommend a set of Campagnolo Zondas. Stiff, light, strong, quick and in budget. I don't think you'll find better for the money.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes I'd say it is worth it if you can afford and ride enough.
Also..... Maybe Google 'best £300 wheelset'

Latest Comments