Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano 105 or Ultegra?

I know this has been asked a million times before but I'm after some advice on what to choose between Shimano 105 and Ultegra (both 11-speed)

I've been running Campagnolo Chorus for the last few years but I'm looking to change as Shimano is cheaper to maintain and the fact that my crank snapped today in the middle of a 100 mile ride has finalised the decision.

As I've never really used Shimano can you tell me if there is much difference between 105 and Ultegra? In terms of quality I'd imagine that Ultegra is closest to Chorus?

I will obviously be buying the full groupset other than the calipers as I use TRP deep drop ones. It sounds daft but will the grey Ultegra look daft with them? Not that it matters but whichever I choose will be going on a Brian Rourke  3

As always thanks for your thoughts.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

bobinski | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have the latest 105 on my commuter and test rode a giant advanced pro at the weekend with Ultrega. I couldn't detect any difference and I pretty much rode them back to back. If I could get the Defy with 105 and hydraulic discs I would choose that and invest in even better wheels.

allanj | 8 years ago
0 likes

The latest 2015 105 is fantastic, there are much better places to spend your money than going Ultegra- it depends on what else you are looking to buy and how much the weight difference makes to you

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just to add, I have the 105 and it is brilliant, snappy gear changes and brakes that actually stop you (unlike the no name one before  24 )
I honestly can't see how much better 6800 could be.
Maybe spend the extra £200 on a basic training plan to get the most out of you.

davieke | 8 years ago
0 likes

I went with a mix. Ultegra chainset, fd, chain and cassette. 105 shifters and rd. Based on best value. Will only buy ultegra if it is less than 33% more than the 105 equivalent.
Yet to find brakes at a price I want to pay.
Frankly, don't think I would have been able to tell the difference whichever way I had gone.
Buy what you can afford and based on how important it is to you to have the name.
In the end it is down to what makes you feel best because it is you as the rider that has the biggest impact - by an order of several magnitudes.

stenmeister replied to davieke | 8 years ago
0 likes
davieke wrote:

Buy what you can afford and based on how important it is to you to have the name.
In the end it is down to what makes you feel best because it is you as the rider that has the biggest impact - by an order of several magnitudes.

That's one of the best things I have heard said about buying components  41

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

Chorus is hands down superior. However, 11 speed 105 works pretty well!

However, for less money than Ultegra and more money than 105, you can get SRAM rival. Mechanically it's the same as top flight SRAM Red but without the carbon bling and lower weight. I run Force 22 on one of my bikes. It works very well indeed - the yaw FD is brilliant!

I hate the shifting mechanism on Shimano, but love the way it works on SRAM and campy.

Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you are not using the brakes, go 105, from feedback from actual users, the calipers are the biggest difference.

Your Chorus is (was) a step up on both in performance and weight.

Latest Comments