Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hey road.cc please help me out by filling in this survey for my cycling infrastructure dissertation.

Hey road.cc users I'm a civil engineering student from Oldham currently studying in Liverpool, and this is my cycling infrastructure dissertation survey.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pFu84yhd7cshVYZR8LiOzLvhlydtdu14kLyCPkZ...

A lot of what my dissertation will be is going to be critiquing the roads in and around Manchester and the planned infrastructure such as Oxford Rd that is currently happening, but also in a much broader sense infrastructure in general across the nation.

I will be forever in your debt and hopefully in years to come will be able to make the roads a safer place for ALL road users.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Chez_worldwide | 8 years ago
0 likes

Good work, but I hope you're asking for views from other 'groups' of people who ride bikes.

I would hope that most on this forum would be well aware of how to keep themselves as safe as possible, i.e. take the lane when necessary, don't jump lights, don't ride on the pavement. Also, when to ignore ill-conceived and dangerous bike lanes which spit you back into traffic after a few metres.

However, there are other people on bikes who may have different views/ no view at all, e.g. the hi-viz-vest chaps on BSOs with no lights going at 5mph, the people who ride on pavements regardless, those folks on bikes with shopping baskets, no helmets etc. From my experience, these are the ones most likely to ride up the inside of buses or to weave all over the road and therefore may benefit from such infrastructure.

In my opinion the infrastructure is fine- there are roads going everywhere I want to go, but these could be made safer by changing the attitude of motorists, police, and the legal system. No need for an elevated bike roundabout if the traffic behind/ beside me sees me as a human/ friend/ father/ husband rather than a lycra clad twat who is delaying their journey by a few seconds. Alternatively, if they know that they will be held responsible for any sort of incident.

I worry that millions will be spent on bike lanes which are ill-conceived and dangerous- In which case I'll still ride on the road, but now car drivers will shout at me to 'get in the fucking bike lane'. If you're from Oldham/ Manchester you should be well aware of the dreadful 'infrasructure' that has been introduced already.

wellcoordinated | 8 years ago
0 likes

I agree with joemmo, you should have arrows, and A,B, C..

Also you talk about infrastructure on your first page but you don't really explain what you mean by this term, but you do explain it on a later page. It needs an explanation the first time you use the term.

joemmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hello. I applaud what you're doing but i think your survey needs some work if you are going to get useful results. For example: There are lots of questions where it's possible to rank everything the same, some of the wording is a bit clunky and it's just a bit long. People are lazy, make it easy for them.

You could do things like add arrows to the photos and ask 'where would you ride? A,B or C?' Instead of asking the reader to decipher the written descriptions of different positions.

Latest Comments