Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First Time Buyer Advice - Chip on Carbon ISP.

Morning All,

I'm currently in the process of purchasing my first road bike having been a life long mountain biker.
I'm very interested in a Giant TCR Advanced SL 3 that my LBS has in stock, it's quite nicely discounted as it's an ex team bike.
I was in looking at it yesterday and it's in remarkable condition, I was very happy with it, with one exception. There was a mark/chip on the ISP right at the top, from what looks like the saddle being overtightened.

Carbon isn't my area of expertise and so I thought I would seek some second opinions to help me make my decision, as it's quite a large purchase for me to make. The shop also said they would offer a 12 month warranty on the frame.
From what I could see there were no cracks and it appeared to be the layer of lacquer that had come away. Should I walk away from the bike? Is this something that is superficial? I had a carbon hard tail mountain bike which could take a fair amount of abuse, so my initial thoughts were that it would be ok.

I would highly value any input anyone could offer.
I have attached an image of the seat post.

Thanks in advance!

I seem to have managed to make 2 threads  39 Mods, please feel free to remove on of them...Sorry!

Jamie.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

VELOW | 8 years ago
0 likes

A lacquer crack is not very serious, it must be checked against the integrity of the carbon tube so that there was no wear or breakage.

It will especially pay attention to tightening the seat post using a torque wrench.

If you want more information to choose your road bike or a MTB, you can visit my website is in French, but it will bring you good tips for choosing a used bicycle.

http://www.velostocks.com/mountain-bike.html

Latest Comments