Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bicycle Sounder / Noise-maker: For continous aural-visibility, soundprint, hear-me-coming full time bell/horn/roar

For a longest time I have wanted an electrical/electronic
sounding, sounder, noise-making device that would make a sound
all the time that my bike is in motion, to improve car and pedestrian
awareness of my presence when cycling in towns. Broom Broom.

Does anyone know of any such product?

It should be about as loud as a small motorbike and not sound too much like a horn because I don't want to annoy people. A horn sounds like it is calling out to people, I want more of a noise.

A sound like that of an electric bike would be cool and appropriate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gt3XbDByN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1WZSghnh5M
but any sound would do.

Mechanical devices like playing cards
https://youtu.be/CT2EIL-5bKA?t=2m40s
plastic bottles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKe_VVJL8Mk
or the kids "Spokester"
http://spokester.com/
"Turbospoke"
http://www.turbospoke.com/
Spokey Dokes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNAvyylK5Wo
would I think add too much resistance I think, so I would like an electrical / electronic noise-maker.

The Wiko Noise Maker has a button that looks like a rev guage. It is not available where I am.
http://www.wilko.com/bike-parts+accessories/wilko-nee-naa-noise-maker-bi...

There is however a product for fitting on scooters to make them louder
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/01/its-official-loud-bikes-save-lives/
Loud bikes do save lives, especially in comparison with our SILENT 'push' bikes.

Why does this not exist already?

Tim

PS How does one find ones own posts to road.cc? I have asked this question somewhere before, years ago I think.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

Tom_77 | 4 years ago
1 like

Way, way back when I was young, all the cool kids had these. I think you can still get them.

timtak | 4 years ago
0 likes

STOP PRESS
Unfortunately the light / siren I mention above died on its second outing in drizzle. It is not waterproof and therefore not suitable for a bike ridden in all weathers.

I tend to pedal all the time so a noisy freewheel hub will probably not work. I have considered freely hangng bells and will look into them agian. I have no rodent buddies.

hawkinspeter replied to timtak | 4 years ago
2 likes

timtak wrote:

STOP PRESS
Unfortunately the light / siren I mention above died on its second outing in drizzle. It is not waterproof and therefore not suitable for a bike ridden in all weathers.

I tend to pedal all the time so a noisy freewheel hub will probably not work. I have considered freely hangng bells and will look into them agian. I have no rodent buddies.

Have you considered leasing?

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

There is always the Timber! bell.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

I've found that the occasional chirruping, squarking and chattering of my squirrel buddies make enough noise to warn pedestrians of my imminent arrival. Also, older, clicking knees come in handy at times.

Sriracha | 4 years ago
1 like

My freewheel makes enough noise all on its own. Seriously, I just need to stop pedalling and pedestrians hear me coming. If not I just pedal backwards to up the volume even more, usually does the trick.

As a warning of my approach it works really well because it is a noise they associate with a bicycle, so they know what it means.

Furthermore, it is not seen as aggressive in the way a horn or bell might be, there is no sense that I am "papping the horn at them".

It does irritate me that it is so loud, I did not notice the same during the test ride, but it's the first thing I noticed when I took delivery. So I just have to keep my cadence going!

timtak | 4 years ago
0 likes

My homemade sounder (of 4 years ago) never reached fruition but I still wanted one, and recently, for other reasons, I purchased a LED light which uses a 18650 cell and has a mini, and fairly quiet, "police" siren in the cap. As an alarm it is pretty useless because it is too quiet, but as a sounder, to make a cyclist more discernable, to other cyclists and pedestrians at least, I think it is at an appropriate level.

The (high) pitch of the siren also distinguishes it from car sounds so that one can still hear cars coming with it turned on. I guess that the low volume level will allow it to be used for a long time on one charge. It is annoying though. I think I will only turn on the siren occasionally, such as when undertaking cars in a traffic jam on a shopping street, or in a tunnel.

This is the ali link of a similar product (the supplier that I purchased from is out of stock). No affiliation.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911998007.html?gps-id=detail404&scm=10...

timtak | 8 years ago
0 likes

They said it could not be done  1 But here it is http://youtu.be/t7B423gHPjw The 6 sound horn (the all black horn shaped type in my video above) runs on a single AA battery. That means a 9V horn is being powered by a 1.5v battery for a long life sounder. The sound is a little quiet (and too loud with 3v) The case may fit two AA batteries in parallel or perhaps yes, with a bit of chiselling a C sized battery which holds 8000 mAH - the equivalent of about three AA cells and two full 1850 charges! The alarm has been on for more than 1 hour and it still is meaningul. Yes, even at 2 hours it should warn pedestrians of my approach. It should last at 5 hours on a C battery. I am only in town for about 20 minutes of my normal route and it is only during rush hours, or when I am in a rush, that I would want to use it, I think, So it should last about 15 rush hour rides or about 3 weeks on a battery. I ordered one of these push switches http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-2pcs-Locking-Latching-Push-Button-Swi... It is far from ideal. It would be far better if I could choose the sound - the buzzer sound is best rather than the syren sounds. I wish it ran from a 18650 and were an option of the 6 sound horn that I have. If I were keener and bought the right push switch I could achieve that. I tried powering it with a 4.2 volt 18650 but it was too loud.

I still have not got around to making this and have mislaid the switch. Another switch ordered.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-12mm-Car-Boat-Locking-Latching-Push-Button-...

Matt eaton | 8 years ago
0 likes

Maybe this is a symptom of where/when I ride but being heard by pedestrians is way down my list of priorities. Making sure that drivers are aware of my presence is much more important.

Having thought about this a bit more, if my bike (or me) were making a constant sound it would obscure my own ability to hear what is going on around me, which can be quite useful. I've thought about getting a horn and using it when negotiating roundabouts etc. This thread is making me give it greater consideration.

bashthebox | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm so going to get hit by a pedestrian on my next ride now, aren't i?

bashthebox | 8 years ago
0 likes

This thread is doing the image of cyclists being angry crazed weirdos no end of good.
Can you get a Zorb ball that will fit your bike in it? I think that would make it safter for both rider and pedestrian, and you couldn't fail to see it coming. Maybe fill the ball with those little jingling balls pets and babies chase around too. Oh and have a man with a flag in front of you at all times, blowing on a whistle.

severs1966 | 8 years ago
0 likes

A good old-fashioned "brrring brrring" bicycle bell, but somehow amplified to produce 90dB(A) at a distance of 1 metre.

If i build them, does anyone want to buy them?

timtak | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes... After I posted my last post it occurred to me that I don't need to be loud enough to be heard by car drivers so much as pedestrians and other cyclists. Which is not very loud.

I do quite a lot of shouting (today I mended my 6 sound horn, so I may be doing less). But perhaps it is me that is easily embarrassed. I find it a little difficult to shout as I go along. Self-conscious. I am not sure why. I need a bleeper.

I am going to try and attach a 6 sound horn, which usually uses 9V to a 3.7 volt battery and see if it still makes a noise as mentioned above. If it does then I predict is should make a fairly quiet but pedestrian hearable siren sound, and last for quite a while. I will report back.

This also runs on 9v so a 3.7v battery might make it suitably not-too-loud
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorbike-Alarm-Beeper-warner-Security-Bi...

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

From my constant "interactions" in London with pedestrians stepping into the road without checking for cyclists, I believe pedestrians use their ears more than their eyes.

Without hearing the engine noise from a motor vehicle, they assume its safe and step out without looking?

After having a very nasty crash in February at Kings Cross after a hard swerve to miss an absent minded pedestrian, I have taken to shouting very loudly whenever I see anyone hovering on the pavement edge who is not looking at the road - typically this person will be consumed with the activities on their smart phone

I might come across as an asshole, but the collision cost me £700 in ruined clothing and bike parts, as well as several weeks of healing from nasty cuts / bruises and a bit of whiplash, I'd rather shout to warn pedestrians than collide with one.

timtak | 8 years ago
0 likes

I am not sure how much noise would be needed but as much as a scooter I was thinking. Perhaps cars don't hear scooters either.

John Smith replied to timtak | 8 years ago
0 likes
timtak wrote:

I am not sure how much noise would be needed but as much as a scooter I was thinking. Perhaps cars don't hear scooters either.

Trust me, cars don't hear motorbikes with loud exhausts half the time. My motorbike is quiet, but I have friends with loud exhausts, the only difference is that I find their bikes annoying. People still don't see them. I suspect that is the case with a bicycle, you would find the noise irritating, but other people would not notice you more. Also I suspect you would eat through allot of batteries. Making a loud noise takes allot of power.

Matt eaton | 8 years ago
0 likes

I thought about some sort of sound-making device after a collision (SMIDSY) but concluded that it would only be useful if proactivly used in every situation where another vehicle may need to give way to you i.e. every junction. Things like airzound look good but honking through every junction is likely to result in unwelcome attention.

Having the bike make a constant noise loud enough to be heard by car drivers in modern, well insulated cars seems like a bit of a non-starter in my mind. It would drive me potty.

MKultra | 8 years ago
0 likes

There a glut of noise makers if you look at what emergency services bikes use.

It's simply a case that no bugger wants/needs one.

timtak | 8 years ago
0 likes

>Something that jangles on the bike. A bell maybe.
Yes. Cow bell, like. Or, here in Japan hikers have bells on their belts, I believe, to warn bears of their approach. That would not use up my Cancellara.

Dynamos and loose cranks bolts would really slow me down.

The noise only needs to be intermittent, and on a 18650 battery I think if it were intermittent, it could last at least as long as my lights.

I would look up white noise maker but I have already looked up "noise maker" and have not had much luck.

While I can't sing, I do do quite a lot of vocalisation, not only because I am mad but also because all the electric horns I have tried, like fenix says, they break, so rather than bleep a 6 Sound Horn (here below is my review)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgBLXFMpV6Y
I shout. The above 6 sound thing from about 4USD on aliexpress is not bad, while it works. If it had a bleep once a second for 100 milliseconds option and ran on a 18650 as opposed to a 9v box battery, it would do. I wish I could get in touch with "Everest" which is the brand. (Hmm. On the 3.7 volts of a 18650 battery it would a lot quieter, about 1/3 the volume, which would be about right, assuming it makes a sound at all. I may try that)

I live in hope of finding a clicker, beeper etc. The only thing I can think of in 100 yen shops (dollar stores, I am not sure if there is a UK equivalent) is the little rape alarms that run on button batteries. One of those attached to a 18650 would last a while but be far too loud. They don't sell quiet intermittent rape alarms but perhaps the voltage of the button batteries is higher (as the button batteries may be in series) than a 18650 @3.7v. so it might run longer and quieter both of which is desirable.

It is really strange to me that nothing exists to increase the road bike cyclists sound-print. The problem may be, in addition to those that like the quiet aesthethic, I believe, that most road bikers are, despite the fact that they even if middle aged like me wear stretch tight lycra, they are nonetheless it seems quite shy and embarrassable, wanting to wear stealth lycra (why are so many cycling lycra pants in black?! I want visibility!), and avoid bike set ups that are not UCI approved and thus look 'strange'. I have no shame, and for safety's sake at least, I want to stand out in every way possible. Bleep, bleep, bleep. Nothing jarring. Just bleep bleep bleep, as I pelt along in traffic.

Tim

md6 | 8 years ago
0 likes

playing card, and then MTFU and deal with a minute amount of added resistance

chokofingrz | 8 years ago
0 likes

Set your alarm clock for 7am, but then don't turn it off, just carry it around all day, ringing.

bashthebox | 8 years ago
1 like

Sing really loudly at all times. Much more fun.

gazza_d | 8 years ago
0 likes

Start talking to yourself & shout at pedestrians like a nutter
Ride harder so you pant noisily like a black dog on a hot day
Slightly slacken off a crank bolt. That makes an nice creak.

fenix | 8 years ago
0 likes

Something that jangles on the bike. A bell maybe. Electric will just run out of batteries or break.

MKultra | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dyno hub and an old fashioned door bell.

A dyno kicks out the same voltage as a 6v lantern battery that old fashioned mechanical bells run on, you will get a pulsed effect meaning that as you travel faster it becomes a constant trill.

It would sound like Z Cars and annoy the crap out of you BTW.

bashthebox | 8 years ago
0 likes

A white noise maker would probably be best in terms of locating you - not a send baby to sleep noise maker, but something like they have on reversing lorries etc.
Even so. If I was barrelling down the road making a load of noise I'd expect to get shouted at by randoms... so buyer beware!

lolol | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have one of these on my folder for riding in London, it works really well. I bought many years ago, still going strong

http://www.amazon.com/Ventura-Super-Loud-Bicycle-Tire/dp/B001NGD5ES

timtak replied to lolol | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thank you very much. The tire bell gives me something to think about.

Ideally I would really like something electronic though. I have been searching for bleepers and buzzers and such.

timtak | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thank you the replies, especially for trottify but again, it would add resistance.

I did try a piece of a fish punnet in the wheels, with the remained of the punnet attached to the rear triangle as a sort of sound box, but yes, I am Fabian Cancellara's dad, and I want to get as much speed from my legs as I can, so the added resistance was unacceptable.

It is because I go so fast (well, for me, 21mph) that I want to be heard coming.

I think that the batteries electronic device that makes a noise of some sort every second or so would last quite a long time

chokofingrz | 8 years ago
0 likes

You think a playing card in your spokes is going to add "too much resistance"?

Who are you riding for, Fabian Cancellara?

Pages

Latest Comments