Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rotor Chainsets

Hi everyone,

I'm considering picking up a Rotor 3D+ chainset, with normal style rings. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of Rotor cranks at all? How do you rate their stiffness against the usual suspects of Shim/SRAM/Campy?

Probably stick these on a BSA frame (using the BB30 rotor bottom bracket), or maybe a BB86 if I like them enough. One of the attractions is that I can stick the chipset on whatever bike I fancy regardless of frame, just use the Rotor BB!

Let me know your thoughts - or convince me to go for something different.

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi allanj- I got mine my 3D+ from JE James for £180 (ish - can't remember exact amount).

That is a steal. Consider you will want to probably buy new chain rings with a second hand set!

allanj | 8 years ago
0 likes

Interesting. I'm keeping an eye out for a set hoping that people will be going for the power meter set and wanting to sell on the originals.

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

So I've ridden the Rotor on my Cross bike - have to say I love it. Will move it over to my summer bike shortly - or perhaps pick up their new one with a build in power meter. Thanks for your help everyone.

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

Tricky thing with changing a crankset is whether its just the crankset or the bottom bracket that is also changed (for example if moving from SRAM to Shimano crank)? Adds in additional factors that will affect flexure.

The most revealing example for me was switching from a Shimano tiagra 2-piece crankset to a Shimano Ultegra 6700 Hollowtech II crankset on the same frame (Specialized Tarmac SL2) using exactly the same BB (it was left installed).

The Ultegra crank was noticeably stiffer, especially when stood out of the saddle sprinting in the big ring - this felt rock solid 'like a platform'. The Tiagra in contrast felt 'soft' in the big ring. I actually switched it back to Tiagra to understand this, and that softness returned.

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

FYI: https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-and-testing/road-bike-crank-testing/

Maybe of interest.

Yes - I can feel the difference. Ok, perhaps flexible is the wrong word. But it is certainly perceptible.

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

As a comparison, the 6800 Ultegra HT2 crank is rated as the stiffest crank Shimano currently make for road bikes.

Dura Ace is considerably lighter than 6800 but more flexible.

5800-105 is actually slightly lighter than 6800, but also more flexible (this comes from the large ring which uses a cheaper and lighter nylon inlay rather than carbon fibre used on 6800)

allanj | 8 years ago
0 likes

Interesting thread this. Has anyone upgraded from an FSA gossamer pro on BBRight to Rotor?

Mrmiik replied to allanj | 8 years ago
0 likes
allanj wrote:

Interesting thread this. Has anyone upgraded from an FSA gossamer pro on BBRight to Rotor?

I'm thinking of swapping the FSA Omega CX on my cross bike for a Rotor 3D+ for the summer, and then moving it over to a road bike come the autumn. Both have BSA BBs - so using the Rotor BSA30, the 3D+ is usable!

I'd be going from a 900g chainset on the cross to something more like 650g...

allanj replied to Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes
Mrmiik wrote:
allanj wrote:

I'm thinking of swapping the FSA Omega CX on my cross bike for a Rotor 3D+ for the summer, and then moving it over to a road bike come the autumn. Both have BSA BBs - so using the Rotor BSA30, the 3D+ is usable!

let me know how it goes, I suspect I'd notice the improved stiffness more than the 350g difference myself but every little helps!

Mrmiik replied to allanj | 8 years ago
0 likes
allanj wrote:
Mrmiik wrote:
allanj wrote:

let me know how it goes, I suspect I'd notice the improved stiffness more than the 350g difference myself but every little helps!

The stiffness is what I am after tbh - I have some Force 22 cranks and they feel noticeably flexy compared to some decent alu ones I have!

wellcoordinated replied to Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes
Mrmiik wrote:

The stiffness is what I am after tbh - I have some Force 22 cranks and they feel noticeably flexy compared to some decent alu ones I have!

Can you really feel the cranks flexing? I'm not convinced that you could, but perhaps I am wrong. May be if you track stand and bounce with the brakes full on? More likely the frame and tyres would flex before the cranks. Manufacturers but this info; "stiffer than last years model", "stiffer than entry level" etc out their, in an attempt to differentiate their latest models, and churn the market for upgrades. They might be stiffer in a test jig, but that is academic.

Anyway I have a Rotor Q setup on one bike, and SRAM Red on another. I can't tell if one is more flexible. They are both stiff things that are stiff enough for me.

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bump...
Any thoughts - anyone gonna convince me that SRAM Red etc will be lighter and stiffer?

dunnoh | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought a rotor 3d+ chainset the other week with the BB30 BSA and round rings. Its ace. Its dead light and just doesn't flex. I love it. Its so smooth that I ended up buying a new rear cassette and chain just so i could listen to the silence.

Mrmiik replied to dunnoh | 8 years ago
0 likes

hi Dunnoh, what were you running before? Is this on a 10 or 11 setup? Cheers.

dunnoh replied to Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes
Mrmiik wrote:

hi Dunnoh, what were you running before? Is this on a 10 or 11 setup? Cheers.

I have 10 speed veloce.

Iamnot Wiggins | 8 years ago
0 likes

I run a set of 3D+ with normal Praxis Works rings which is attached to my Specialized. Very nice cranks, look good and are very stiff compared to the Campag Records cranks they replaced.

I do have an un-used Rotor PF30 bb at home if you need to buy one. Fully boxed etc.

Mrmiik replied to Iamnot Wiggins | 8 years ago
0 likes
Iamnot Wiggins wrote:

I run a set of 3D+ with normal Praxis Works rings which is attached to my Specialized. Very nice cranks, look good and are very stiff compared to the Campag Records cranks they replaced.

I do have an un-used Rotor PF30 bb at home if you need to buy one. Fully boxed etc.

Cheers both for your replies - ok you had me at more stiffness than record. Were these the 11 speed carbon cranks?

Afraid my stable consists of BB86 and BSA bikes. Will be nice to run a 30mm crank in these bikes with the Rotor crankset! I will need a BSA30 BB however...

Tjuice | 8 years ago
0 likes

I hired a bike with a Rotor crankset and Q-rings when I did some cycling in Spain a couple of years back.

Anecdotally, I really liked them. Not sure whether it was the oval rings or whether the crankset was generally good, but I felt very comfortable with them, riding both on the flat and particularly on the climbs.

Caveat: the whole bike was new to me so there are a number of factors at play in my enjoyment of the riding, and I was not specifically trying to evaluate the crankset vs. others I've ridden.

For reference, on my two usual bikes I have:
Race bike: FSA SL-K Light carbon crankset
Winter training bike: SRAM Rival crankset

I would very definitely contemplate/evaluate Rotor cranks (probably with Q-rings) for a future bike.

Perhaps someone with a more scientific view will provide experiences too.

Latest Comments