Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon Road Bike Sales?

I've recently been hit by a van on my communte and my bike is now, well, a write-off!

I'm looking to upgrade from my Trek 1.2 to a full carbon bike. The problem is money though. I'm looking for an older bike (2013ish), but not second hand, preferably under £1000. I cannot seem to find any sales or clearance offers online.

My achievable dream bike is the Canyon CF SL 7.0 - as I am only 17, funds don't come easy!

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank y'all,

Tom.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

Oolon Colluphid | 8 years ago
0 likes

Rose. Aluminium. 7kg. Just over a grand.

You may now close the thread  4

Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

here she is for under £1000...

Took a lot longer than I wanted, but she's a work of art, if the colour scheme floats your boat, I appreciate the Bianchi colours aren't for everyone.

edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

What about this Cube Agree with full Di2 - a bit over your budget but hell of a spec.

http://www.bikesheduk.com/cube-agree-gtc-di2-slt-compact-2013

Jeroen0110 replied to edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes
edvelo wrote:

What about this Cube Agree with full Di2 - a bit over your budget but hell of a spec.

http://www.bikesheduk.com/cube-agree-gtc-di2-slt-compact-2013

Now that's value for money! If di2 is your thing it's a winner really.

Personally not that bothered (maybe because I haven't tried it) but at that price worth a test ride. Interest free finance???

can't be worse ... | 8 years ago
0 likes

i've just built up a old trek carbon frame with 105 11 speed and some wheels i had kicking about for £650.

and if i had;t bought this from there were plenty of better ones going for not a huge amount on eBay

RR | 8 years ago
0 likes

That Colnago cannot be genuine. Colnago make the C59 frame in house - in Italy - so the one there is just a replica.

bashthebox | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've had an FM069 since about this time last year. It's a beauty. Done just about 7000km on it - getting it out of the cellar to ride a couple of weeks ago after a long winter was a joy.
Fast, light, stiff and very strong. I've only got good things to say about it.

Dr Mcr | 8 years ago
0 likes
gdmor10 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Tom - you may not have time for this if you don't have a bike but I would recommend building it yourself, you can use a mixture of new and 2nd hand bits and then upgrade as you go along. I am doing an Ebay project at the moment and there are loads of frames on there that are a few years old but still high quality.

The main benefit is that you will learn so much about bike mechanics along the way as you will have built it from the ground up.

If you are lucky you might even get a big bruise on your face like I currently have from when the torque wrench slipped last night and wacked me on the cheek!

down side is that if it is your only bike then the time means no riding.

Tom Prestridge replied to gdmor10 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would really like to build my own bike from the ground up. The thing I'd stuggle with, however, is narrowing components down. There is such a choice out there and I can't really afford to be purchasing the wrong stuff! If you have a list of parts you're looking into for yourself, it would be great if you could share (well, if your budget is similar).

I have a month or so that I can't ride for anyway, due to a broken wrist from the accident. I hope your cheek gets on the mend soon!

Jeroen0110 replied to Tom Prestridge | 8 years ago
0 likes
Tom Prestridge wrote:

I would really like to build my own bike from the ground up. The thing I'd stuggle with, however, is narrowing components down. There is such a choice out there and I can't really afford to be purchasing the wrong stuff! If you have a list of parts you're looking into for yourself, it would be great if you could share (well, if your budget is similar).

I have a month or so that I can't ride for anyway, due to a broken wrist from the accident. I hope your cheek gets on the mend soon!

The colnago is for my sister, she's doing a build (well I'm doing it for her) but I ordered a Bianchi (or Chianci)...

The real variables are the wheels and whether you can blag the ChainReaction 10% British Cycling discount. but here's the list of parts you'll need, which were sourced from evans/wiggle/chain reaction kind of dependant on what was on offer:

£12.59 Brand-X Road Stem Black, 90mm, 31.6mm, 1.1/8" -  sku428480
£10.79 Black, 41cm, 31.8mm, 108mm Reach 138mm Drop -  sku428472 Black, 41cm, 31.8mm, 108mm Reach 138mm Drop -  sku428472
£71.99 Shimano RS010 Road Wheelset
Or chinese carbon wheels, £235
335 frame
£269.09 Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset
£31.49 Shimano R550 SPD-SL Clipless Road Pedals
£19.78 Tyres Black, 700c, 23c, Folding Bead -  sku59199
15 tubes x3
£18.55 1 x Shimano Road Brake Cable Set with PTFE Inner Cable Red
5.69 1 x LifeLine Performance Bar Tape with Gel Red
21.95 1 x Shimano Road Gear Cable Set with PTFE Inner Cable Red
£811.93

will post a pic of the bikes once they're built up, but the C59 is a stunner already!

Takes about 2-4 weeks from AliExpress so start looking....!

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Weightwenies.starbike.com have a huge 60 page plus thread on various chinese carbon frames.
Google Chinese carbon thread 6.0 for more info... 220ish pages I think.
Weigtweenies is better for HQ info tho IMO

FullGas | 8 years ago
0 likes

What about this Willier Izoard XP? It comes with Shimano Sora and RS501 wheels. But the frame is nice and you can upgrade to something better later down the road.

0 likes

Many Chinese carbon frames are well renowned, originally some of the cheap fakes were poorly manufactured but there are many riders with 20000+ kms on their frames and there are many reputable companies that do honour warranties such as hongfu/dengfu, miracelbike and many others.
Do your research and there are many decent frames that can be bought.
Some companies spread shit to make people think these frames were piles of poo, however this was mainly just to protect their own companies.
It is your choice and if you'd be nervous riding a Chinese carbon frame, don't buy one  1

Tom Prestridge replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I've been looking at Dengfu. I watched some, and read some, reviews and the frames do seem okay. Even if the frame does encounter an issue, I saw that someone was able to have a second frame shipped out for free - covered by the 2 year warranty.

There's always the advantage of looking like you're riding a custom, high-end branded bike as the Dengfu frames look the same!

CyclingLocations.com | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yap, the Canyon Endurace is definitely worth checking out. My wife is considering it as she wants a lighter bike, but not a carbon frame.

Tom Prestridge replied to Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5473/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-105-6-2014

I was on this exact page earlier on today! I swear they didn't stock the rough frame size I'd need 0.o

Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Moser is a superb bike, my wife has one and it is brilliant. Also don't discount Aluminium - Take a look at the Canyon Endurace - the one that is £1049 - 7.8 Kilos and full Ultegra.

Tom Prestridge replied to Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Moser does look like an all-round good package if I'm honest. The only thing that puts me off is the paintjob, but that's because I'm way too fussy.

I'll be sure to check out the Canyon too, especially if it's as light as you say!

Thanks very much.

Wookie | 8 years ago
0 likes
0 likes

You could look at buying a carbon frame straight from china (fm066 & fm069) and then build them up with your existing components...
This could save you enough cash for a nice set of race wheels or some nice summer kit etc.
I too am 17 and suspect my next bike will be built up from a Chinese frame and carbon wheels with ultegra group for less than £1600  4

Tom Prestridge replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the idea! I haven't built a bike before, could be quite fun. Chinese stuff, in general, has a bad reputation though... Are these frames reliable, decent quality?

Jeroen0110 replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

You could look at buying a carbon frame straight from china (fm066 & fm069) and then build them up with your existing components...
This could save you enough cash for a nice set of race wheels or some nice summer kit etc.
I too am 17 and suspect my next bike will be built up from a Chinese frame and carbon wheels with ultegra group for less than £1600  4

Best £300 you can spend on a frame! AliExpress is your friend!

Tom Prestridge replied to Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Jeroen0110 wrote:
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

That isn't a legit Colnago carbon frame is it?!

Jeroen0110 replied to Tom Prestridge | 8 years ago
0 likes
Tom Prestridge wrote:
Jeroen0110 wrote:
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

That isn't a legit Colnago carbon frame is it?!

Genuine Cholnago my friend!

Tom Prestridge replied to Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hah hah

Latest Comments