Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Miche Primato Shimano-fit cassettes

Howdo,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these, in particular with the 11-speed versions ? I've read in the past about some experiences with their Campagnolo versions - seem to be coming across as generally OK, bit more clunky and some of them prone to wear - so i'm not expecting the Shimano ones to be any more silky smooth shifting but interested in any info.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

From what I hear the Supertype is not hardwearing at all. It is designed for the weight weenies apparently... Hope it solves your problem though  1

fukawitribe replied to Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes
Mrmiik wrote:

From what I hear the Supertype is not hardwearing at all. It is designed for the weight weenies apparently...

That sounds along the lines i've heard - the worst of the horror stories seem to involve the case-hardened light alloy cogs although i've not turned up much new and nothing at all about the Shimano fit ones. The 12-30 on bike24 only has a light alloy on 30T, the rest are steel - i'd ideally go for all steel if they had a 12-30, but they don't and the all steel ones are a lot more pricey. If I do try it i'm thinking i'll try and go for a replacement 30T from a distie if it does wear badly, there seem to be a few about.

Mrmiik wrote:

Hope it solves your problem though  1

Cheers - think I need to go spend some more time actually on the bike too !

Guernsey Donkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Supertype would obviously have to be a special order from a retailer to get the desired cogs.

That light primato is biased towards climbing as the extra cog is 23+25 replacing the 24.
If you want the 16 then I think it will be a special order.

0 likes

My percentages were going to an easier gear each time which might give the difference.

Actually, I've just remembered seeing a review a couple of months ago for a Miche cassette where you could choose what ever cogs you wanted. Looking at their website it would appear to be the SuperType.

http://www.miche.it/uploads/pdf/catalogo%20pagine/pag122-123_cassette_Su...

Six choices of small cog from 11 to 18 and six choices of large from 23 to 32 (30 for campag) and fill in the middle with what ever you want.

Downside is the rrp at €206.80 plus tax!

12-30 with a 16T as the 11th cog?

fukawitribe replied to Guernsey Donkey | 8 years ago
0 likes
Guernsey Donkey wrote:

My percentages were going to an easier gear each time which might give the difference.

Yep, sorry my wording was shite - I was using the increase in teeth (decreasing effort) for the last three shifts in each cassette, 21-24-27-30 in the CS-4600
and the 22-25-28-32 for the CS-6800.

Guernsey Donkey wrote:

Actually, I've just remembered seeing a review a couple of months ago for a Miche cassette where you could choose what ever cogs you wanted. Looking at their website it would appear to be the SuperType.

http://www.miche.it/uploads/pdf/catalogo%20pagine/pag122-123_cassette_Su...

Six choices of small cog from 11 to 18 and six choices of large from 23 to 32 (30 for campag) and fill in the middle with what ever you want.

Downside is the rrp at €206.80 plus tax!

Yeah they look great but that is some downside  1 This is the current option if I give it a punt (about £50 incl shipping)

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=2;menu=1000%2C4%2C27;pr...

Guernsey Donkey wrote:

12-30 with a 16T as the 11th cog?

That would be veery nice...

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm getting the following for the increased gearing percentages (% increase over the current gear).

CS 4600. 14.3 12.5 11.1
CS 6800. 13.6 12.0 14.3

An 11 speed 12-30 would give quite a nice chunk of gears with close ratio changes.. pity I can't test ride one.

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

@ Guernsey

Thanks for the update, yep it seems much of a muchness in the jumps but the ratio it lands on seems just to suit me so much more. Hard to clarify, one block feels alright, one block seems to jar my senses - odd but not much I can do about that  1

0 likes

Are you aware that the 10speed 12-30 steps from 27 to 30 while the 11 speed is 28 to 32.

Its only one extra tooth not two.

The difference in distance travelled between 34/27 & 34/30 is 10.5". For 34/28 & 34/32 it's 12.6"

Is 2.1" really worth worrying about?

edit to add....

On the Tiagra/Ultegra 10speed 12-30 the last four ratio changes are 9.5%, 12.5%, 11.1% & 10%.
With an Ultegra 11 speed 11-32 they would be 9.1%, 12%, 10.7% & 12.5%

fukawitribe replied to Guernsey Donkey | 8 years ago
0 likes
Guernsey Donkey wrote:

Are you aware that the 10speed 12-30 steps from 27 to 30 while the 11 speed is 28 to 32.

Its only one extra tooth not two.

The difference in distance travelled between 34/27 & 34/30 is 10.5". For 34/28 & 34/32 it's 12.6"

Is 2.1" really worth worrying about?

The 11-32 has two jumps of 3 and then the jump of 4, trust me it's not a particularly nice cassette to use on climbs. Also 28 sometimes gives me knee hassle when used on longer, steeper climbs whilst 32 i find a bit too spinny a lot of the time. For my riding I just find a 30 his the sweet spot, it's not the end of the world not having it but if there was a simple solution is like to give it a whirl - Miche just so happened to have a 12-30 for about 50 quid, hence the thread.

When all is said and done it's only a nice to have so I'm not too fussed either way

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd personally just pick up a Shimano 105 cassette. Around £20 on wiggle?

fukawitribe replied to Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes
Mrmiik wrote:

I'd personally just pick up a Shimano 105 cassette. Around £20 on wiggle?

Alas Shimano don't do a XX-30 in 11-speed.

Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have used BBB cassettes for Shimano, as good as any.

fukawitribe replied to Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes
Flying Scot wrote:

I have used BBB cassettes for Shimano, as good as any.

Aghh, I'd completely forgotten about them. Just sent them an email to see if they have a 30T, cheers.

Tin Pony | 8 years ago
0 likes

Agree SRAM could well be the answer you are looking for

fukawitribe replied to Tin Pony | 8 years ago
0 likes
Tin Pony wrote:

Agree SRAM could well be the answer you are looking for

I agree too, it was my original alternative, and i'd love one - if me numbers come in i'll be there in a second !

Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sram cassettes work great as an alternative to shimno, great 10 speed climing ratio

fukawitribe replied to Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Beefy wrote:

Sram cassettes work great as an alternative to shimno, great 10 speed climing ratio

Alas i'm after a 11-speed Beefy, I had a 12-30 10-speed Shimano on the old bike which was spot on. SRAM do do an 11-speed 11-30, which would be grand too but it's silly expensive. If I find one on eBay for a bargain i'd go for it in a shot.

srchar | 8 years ago
0 likes

What size are your chainrings? If you want close ratios but lower overall gearing, that's what I'd be looking to change. Either from a double to a compact or, if you already have a compact, something smaller (Spa Cycles sell a compact with a 33t inner ring)... or even a triple (sorry!)

fukawitribe replied to srchar | 8 years ago
0 likes
srchar wrote:

What size are your chainrings? If you want close ratios but lower overall gearing, that's what I'd be looking to change. Either from a double to a compact or, if you already have a compact, something smaller (Spa Cycles sell a compact with a 33t inner ring)... or even a triple (sorry!)

The near perfect rear cassette for me is a 12-30, which Shimano and SRAM do for 10-speed but not 11-speed - 32 is fine for really long / pretty steep climbs in the saddle but the jump between 28 and 32 on the 11-speeds is a big of a pig and mostly I don't need a 32. Campagnolo do some great ratios but although they'd work fine with the Shimano 11-speed drive train that's a lot of expense for a 'nice to have' (which is what this comes down really). SRAM do one IIRC, but for about the same price as a hack winter bike.

I've had a triple in the past and not keen to go back at the moment, but i'm fighting permanent thigh injury and increasingly knee and age bother so might head back there one day... just not yet  1

Already on a compact but hadn't thought about a lower inner - good plan, i'll investigate that, thanks. I have a 34T Q-ring inner thinking about it, I might try that and see if it helps....

Cheers srchar

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

Not had good experience with their 10speed Campag ones. Have you looked at a SRAM cassettee at all? May be abit more pricey however.

Derny | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have used the Campag compatible Miche cassettes (steel) and I broke the teeth off. They were crap. I am not a monster rider.

philtregear | 8 years ago
0 likes

i had an 8 speed one of these as a shimano replacement and i wasnt impressed. so far as ican remember it was tricky to fit, didnt change as nicely as shimano ones. not well made. buy shimano and pay the extra is my advice

philtregear | 8 years ago
0 likes

i had an 8 speed one of these as a shimano replacement and i wasnt impressed. so far as ican remember it was tricky to fit, didnt change as nicely as shimano ones. not well made. buy shimano and pay the extra is my advice

fukawitribe replied to philtregear | 8 years ago
0 likes
philtregear wrote:

OK, sounds similar to some comments i've heard.. that said, given the 8-speed, was that a while ago ? Reason for asking is that Miche have abuse for shifting quality and longevity (on the aluminium cogs AFAICS) in the past but may be getting better on that, judging my what reviews i've seen.

As far as Shimano goes, I have their cassettes already but their ratios aren't what I want - you have 28 or or 28-32 as an option with an 11, which is fine for most thing but they seem to have dropped the 12-30 they've had with a bunch of their 10 speed cassettes.

For these old legs I like something in between for long, not-so-mild, climbs and I couldn't give a rats arse about an 11 on the descents because i'm either doing way over 40mph on a 12 spinning out or happy with the speed. The jumps on the Shimano 11-32 are just what you don't want in your hour of need on a climb and often way too wide to do the normal jump in and out of the saddle. Do I need stronger legs ? Of course, but family life, age and injury don't always help with sorting that  1

Latest Comments