Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Calling campagnolo experts

I have the campagnolo tool
I have the torque wrench
It's the last part on the frame
I even have a bruise on my face from where I wacked it with the wrench

However the last cup on my ultra torque bottom bracket just won't shift, I have given it loads of extra torque.

Going to the LBS for this project is cheating so that's not what I want to do.

Any ideas?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

@Mike - bugger, forgotten about that "trick"  1

mike the bike | 9 years ago
0 likes

It goes against every instinct but, after soaking the thread, you might try tightening the cup a fraction (anti-clockwise) before attempting to loosen it once more. For reasons known only to the gods of spannerisation, this sometimes yields results.

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

The LBS is more than likely simply going to apply more torque than you have currently... going there is only to try and claim off their insurance if it goes wrong I guess?

My approach would be lots and lots of leverage and gentle application.

Scaffold pole would be my go-to for this.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

it is looking likely for LBS, we do have a bicycle kitchen cooperative here in Reading and I might see if they have a vice but the project is to build a bike all from second hand parts and get it custom resprayed and as I now have all the bits I don't want to knacker the frame at this stage. I don't mind buying new BB cups if needed though.

watch this space...

workhard | 9 years ago
0 likes

when the only option is the application of a Birmingham spanner or excessive force it is time to get it to the LBS.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

concur with the lbs option ... too much torque and you could damage the
frame  2

RR | 9 years ago
0 likes

You may not want to take it to your LBS, but they should have the experience and tools to sort it out. I've had to accept defeat and do this for a stuck BB before.

Having said that, I recently managed to get a BB out with a 2 foot breaker bar and a lot of effort, but that was on a steel frame. And a bench with a vice would have been easier.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dumb suggestion are okay here but yes everything removed! Have tried the hammer method. Don't have a bench vice so running out of options...

badback | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dumb suggestion and stating the obvious but have you removed the spring clip that sits on the drive side of the bottom bracket ?

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You don't need a torque wrench to take it off. Use a big open ended or adjustable spanner. Hit the end of the spanner gently with a hammer. That should budge it, unless someone's used loctite (why?)..

mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I am guessing here as i don't know what frame, alu cup into alu insert bonded into the carbon bb shell.

Proceed with caution, i am aware of frame inserts falling out, depends on which is stronger the corrosion or the glue.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's drive side, English thread so clockwise removal, carbon frame, soaking in wd40 at moment

mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

what's the frame made of, i am assuming this is a metal frame and threaded, you are trying to undo the cup the right way??? Could try using plusgas/etc to soak into the thread and try again after a few hours. If it really is seized, be prepared to risk the frame.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

drive side or non drive side?

Latest Comments