Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sora to 105 shifters.

Is it possible to fit Shimano 105 shifters to a Sora (9speed) equipped bike?

I also notice that there are ST-5600, 5700 & 5800...what are the differences if any?

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

You can use brake noodles to point the cables down.

https://thecrazyrandonneur.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/how-to-have-a-large-...

mike the bike replied to Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

You can use brake noodles to point the cables down.

https://thecrazyrandonneur.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/how-to-have-a-large-...

That is so clever! Fifty years I've been untangling cables from bar-mounted accessories and nobody told me this.

fatsmoker | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do the full upgrade. Merlin have 105 on sale for about £260 at the mo. Did mine late last year and as a poster said above, it's like riding a new bike.

fatsmoker | 9 years ago
0 likes

Do the full upgrade. merlin have 105 on sale for about £260 at the mo. Did mine late last year and as a poster said above, it's like riding a new bike.

antigee | 9 years ago
0 likes

i run bar top brake levers and that doesn't leave a lot of room for lighting so have a "bar extender" so I can run a MioGPS unit and a 2nd light - the one I use has a quick release clamp (i had one that didn't and much prefer the easy removal) It sits higher than the gear cable outers - no problems with coming loose on gravel roads which was a concern - might be a cheap and simple solution

Bedfordshire Clanger | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes, you can do that but you'll have to make some other changes too. The 105 model numbers you quote are for 10 speed systems (5600 & 5700) and 11 speed (5800). The obvious difference between 5600 and 5700 is that the 5600 routes the gear cable away from the bars whereas the 5700 routes the gear cable under the bar tape. You'll need a new cassette to match the levers, and a new chain too. If you go 10 speed, you'd probably get away with keeping the rear mech, you might get away with keeping the front mech and maybe the chainrings but I wouldn't recommend it. Shimano parts are all pretty much interchangeable if you stick to the same number of gears. If you want to go 11 speed you'll be needing to change the whole groupset.

If you want to change up a speed or two, I'd go with parts specially made for the job.

Why are you thinking of changing levers?

Bazza155 replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 9 years ago
0 likes
Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

Yes, you can do that but you'll have to make some other changes too. The 105 model numbers you quote are for 10 speed systems (5600 & 5700) and 11 speed (5800). The obvious difference between 5600 and 5700 is that the 5600 routes the gear cable away from the bars whereas the 5700 routes the gear cable under the bar tape. You'll need a new cassette to match the levers, and a new chain too. If you go 10 speed, you'd probably get away with keeping the rear mech, you might get away with keeping the front mech and maybe the chainrings but I wouldn't recommend it. Shimano parts are all pretty much interchangeable if you stick to the same number of gears. If you want to go 11 speed you'll be needing to change the whole groupset.

If you want to change up a speed or two, I'd go with parts specially made for the job.

Why are you thinking of changing levers?

My present Sora shifters have the cables exiting from the side and the cabling MAY get in the way of any camera I MAY fit.....hangs head in shame.

bikebot replied to Bazza155 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Bazza155 wrote:

My present Sora shifters have the cables exiting from the side and the cabling MAY get in the way of any camera I MAY fit.....hangs head in shame.

Mount the camera upside down under the bars, it's what I used to do and most cameras will flip the video.

I'm slowly changing one bike from a 9 speed sora 3500 to a 10 speed 105 5700. Chainring, chain and both derailleurs are now 10 speed, which still works fine as a 9 speed. At some point later this year I'll swap the cassette and shifters to finish the job.

userfriendly | 9 years ago
0 likes

You could try and find some old 9-speed 105's. That's the ST-5500 ones, you can probably find them on eBay. Or possibly even NOS somewhere.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

no
5700 & 5600 shifters are 10 speed, 5800 are 11 speed so are not compatible with a 9 speed bike.
If you want to upgrade you might as well go for a whole new groupset tbh.... I have done so recently and its like a new bike ( I went for 5800 fwiw)
If you upgrade to 11 speed you will need an 11 speed spaced freehub.

Latest Comments