Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Cycling biographies/autobiographies

Hi, which cycling biographies/autobiographies have you read and would recommend?  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Flying Scotsman, Obree's own book, is superb- though if you don't already know it's worth a warning that it gets very, very dark towards the end (just remind yourself that he's fit and healthy these days).

Another vote for Racing Through the Dark, Slaying the Badger and Boulting's books.

evojm72 (not verified) | 8 years ago
0 likes

I quite liked Nicole Cooke's recent biog. Slaying the Badger was excellent; I think Hinault is my favourite ever sportsman at the moment. I couldn't finish the Pantani book but I'd previously watched the doumentary on Netflix which kind of spoiled if for me. The Hour by Michael Hutchinson was an interesting read and Ned Boultings books are humourous and accessible to all.

turboprannet | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dog in a Hat was absolutely excellent, would recommend it.

Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage was good, as was the Bassons biog.

The Rider by Tim Krabbé is where its at though, what a book that is.

charlie29 | 8 years ago
0 likes

That's useful, thanks everyone.  1 I've been given some book vouchers, so now I know what to order!  3

VVV73 | 8 years ago
0 likes

"Phil Anderson Cycling Legend" with Christi Valentine-Anderson

Was a good read, short but enjoyable. Phil was first Non-European to hold the yellow jersey.Collected 11 of them and rose to number 1 world ranking.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

A Dog in a Hat by Joe Parkin.

Dapper Giles | 8 years ago
0 likes

One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers - Tim Hilton, not a professional cyclist but a great social history of the sport.

Welsh boy | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Race Against Time by Pickering is a fantastic read if you are of the age to remember Boardman and Obree battling it out.
Slaying the Badger is excellent as is We Were Young and Carefree and The Secret Race is a real eye opener.
Very disappointed with Half Man, Half Bike and I couldn't finish Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape.

NeilG83 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I agree Half Man, Half Bike (Merckx); We Were Young & Carefree (Fignon) and Racing Through The Dark (D. Millar) are all excellent.

I was given The Secret Race as a present. I really didn't think I was going to like it due to the subject matter, but it was very well written and gives a great insights into the mind of those that dope and the lengths that US Postal went to cheat.

Not long ago I saw Sex, Lies & Handlebar Tape in a local charity shop, but decided not to buy it. I changed my mind but when I returned a few days later it had gone. It would be worth reading about Anquetil's bizarre private life as much as his cycling exploits.

jasecd | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd absolutely agree about "Slaying the Badger" - probably my favourite cycling book. "Half man, Half Bike" and the Fignon book are also excellent.

I just read Nicolas Roche's book "Inside the Peleton", which, although it was written in 2011 and he's not quite a legend of the sport, I found really interesting as an insight into the life of a modern racer.

Others which I would recommend are "The Death of Marco Pantani" and "In search of Robert Millar" and on the lighter side I really enjoy Ned Boultings books although they're not really biogs.

I'd also like to know more about Anquetil so would welcome any recommendations.

bashthebox | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers dude!

Lungsofa74yearold | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton - not strictly a biography, but a wonderful, poignant read.

The Secret Race - Tyler Hamilton. Reads like a thriller. LA emerges as a full bore psychopath.

For bashthebox - you want Sex, Lies & Handlebar Tape by Paul Howard.

Fully agree 'Half man, half bike' is superb.

Happy reading...

bashthebox | 8 years ago
0 likes

Half Man Half Bike is a great starting point. Might as well read about the best ever!
Fignon's biog is one of the rare ones that's not ghostwritten, and given his devastatingly young death, it's rather heartbreaking too.
Millar's Racing Through the Dark is a great and honest account of how a talented rider is lead to dope, and how it affects the rider.
Fotheringham's Coppi biog is very good too.
Slaying the Badger is a must read - the duel between LeMond and Hinault is fascinating and helps you understand the problems we still see today in teams with two leaders.
Charly Wegelius' Domestique is good. Found his attitudes towards dopers interesting too.
Not a biog, but Michael Hutchinson's Faster is a great account of the lengths a (clean) rider will go to eke out a tiny bit extra performance.

If anyone can recommend a decent biog about Anquetil that would be ace. I need to learn more about him!

Latest Comments