Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dynamo hub - Schmidt or Supernova

Does anyone have any experience of using the Schmidt SON 28 and Supernova Infinity S dynamo hubs to offer any thoughts/experiences?
I have a road bike which is used for communting, the occasional charity ride and wishful touring - no serious racing or club runs, and fancy adding a dynamo hub.
Between the two, the marketing suggests that the Supernova is maybe 'lighter weight' and the Schmidt more 'robust' but I don't know anyone who has tried both to offer a useful opinion.
Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

bobinski | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have the supernova which replaced a Shimano lx. It just works, in all weathers. A bit lighter than the lx, snazzy red colour looks cool. And a decent price too.

localsurfer | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Shutter Precision. Excellent hub, not very expensive.

armb | 8 years ago
0 likes

Shutter Precision have a new SV-9 model which is even lighter, but I haven't seen a UK stockist yet.
http://www.sp-dynamo.com/9seriesdynamo%20hub.html
(The SV-8 is lighter than the PV-8, but only rated for 2.4W in a 700c wheel (similar to SON20 vs SON28). The SV-9 output is very slightly too low for StVZO approval in a 700c wheel, according to SP's page.)

I've seen suggestions that the Supernova has better bearing seals than the SP hub it is based on, which might justify it's higher price, but haven't seen long term reviews to back it up.

All long term reviews of the SON appear to agree reliability and efficiency are great, even if SP do claim to be very slightly more efficient.

(I have a cheaper Shimano hub myself, but considering upgrading. I've not had any problems with the Shimano though.)

Dr_Lex | 8 years ago
0 likes

Can't offer experiences on your choices (use a Shimano LX), but if you're considering the supernova infinity, the internals are shared with some of the Shutter Precision (SP) dynamos so a possible alternative.
(Old review here: http://road.cc/content/review/65840-shutter-precision-pv8-dynamo-hub)

Latest Comments