Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Turn-by-turn GPS - Edge 1000, 810 or....?

Hi all. Looking to get a GPS and hoping for some advice. I'm after a GPS with turn-by-turn navigation that works well. Would also need a cadence sensor. Other than that, my main priorities are reliability and ease of use. A relatively decent battery life would also be nice - certainly something comfortably long enough for 5-6 hour rides.

I was looking at the Garmin 1000, but get the feeling that a lot of the new features aren't ones I'd really need or use that much. I'm happy to use cables to upload rides, so don't need bluetooth, and I'm generally not fussed about segments or any fancy features like that. I just want to be able to plan routes at home, upload them to my GPS and then follow them turn-by-turn while I'm out. Would an 810 be a better bet?

That said, a lot of the comments I read about Garmins seem to be about bugs and reliability issues, so perhaps there's another brand I should consider?

Any help much appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Zermattjohn | 9 years ago
0 likes

The 500/510 can be configured to give you turn notifications, at a distance prior to the turn (set by you), if you plan your routes on bikeroutetoaster - no doubt you can do same on 800/810 and 1000. The 500 only gives you a "breadcrumb" type trail to look at though, but I've planned and used it on rides all over in unfamiliar places without problem. If you have these turn directions on then the bleep/turn instruction will pop up regardless of which page of your garmin display you are on. The main difference between this one and the 800/810 version is that can take maps so there is something beneath the breadcrumb line (as said, download the free ones: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html). This is useful if you go wrong on your pre-set route (the 500/510 is basically useless to get you back to your route) or just want to see what is around you. Obv maps and smartphones can help you in that way, but clearly its a bit easier with it all on your display.

Loads of info (and I mean it, loads!) here http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

sandsollom | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you've got the opportunity to get down to your LBS and look at the screens on the 800 and the 1000 then do so; this is the big difference that you will notice for the requirements you have. The 1000 has a much better screen for navigation, but you pay a premium for this.

Another option for you is the Garmin Edge Touring. Big(ish) screen, but not quite the resolution of the 1000. The ANT+ version has ANT+ (there's a surprise!) so cadence and heart rate etc. shouldn't be a problem. Shed loads cheaper... I've no idea regarding bugs; I've got an old 800 and it's run like a dream since new. Not made me any faster though...

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

have both 800 and 1000. both navigate well, both get a good lock. 800 is better on
battery life, 1000 is better on failing eye sight  1
don't use half the 1000 features so normaly take the 800 instead.
create a route, drop it on and away we go ...

dotdash | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a mio505 and it's good, couple of points is at roundabouts it can be a bit confusing knowing which exit you need to take. Also I've found the indication for which junction to take can be a bit unclear. It also tells you the distance to the next hill, the average grade and has a course profile which can be useful. The 3xx series is the same as the 5xx models only without wifi upload.

The surprise me feature is good but I am finding the same opening and closing routes being picked and sometimes it can take you to a point on a road then just get you to turn back on yourself.

I've not used a garmin so I can't say if it's better or not.

cjwebb | 9 years ago
0 likes

For 800/810/1000: You can get open street maps rather than paying for the official Garmin ones - the stock maps are next to useless, having only very basic (therefore busy A road) roads. Great how-to selecting and loading these maps is on DC rainmaker blog.

bikemadjo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Vote for 1000, Screen resolution and navigation much better than previous models

2flatfeet | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the 800 here

Metjas | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had the Edge 500, 800 and now for about 9 months or so the Edge 1000. It is a much better unit in general, not least because of the bigger/better resolution screen and the ability to use both GPS and Glonass satellites, a much more resilient and quicker lock - all of which makes it great for turn by turn navigation. I don't much use the phone link etc features as I'm out on my bike for a good reason - to enjoy the ride!
For those of us with deteriorating eyesight it's great to be able to read the data fields without having to push your nose right up the screen.
It's been my best buy, admittedly not cheap, of the last few years and I can't see myself needing another cycling computer for a long time. Since a firmware update middle of last year I've had no issues with bugs or anything else.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got an Edge 1000 recently, I have to say I've not really used the navigation features yet - but WRT the reliability I've had no problems - the recent firmware updates seems to have knocked most of those on the head.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Garmin 800 might suit you. It has all the features of the higher models except phone connection. Routing and all the speed power cadence heart sensors easily attached

700c replied to CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Garmin 800 might suit you. It has all the features of the higher models except phone connection. Routing and all the speed power cadence heart sensors easily attached

Completely agree, it's what I use and has been pretty reliable. As an older model it's available quite cheaply and bugs etc pretty much ironed out

Re battery life, You get about 8-10 hours of use following turn in the map screen constantly but much more in the other screens, where it will still prompt you to turn when navigating, so no need to constantly look at the map (I made that error on a particularly long ride and ran out of battery)

Latest Comments