Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carephilly Mountain

this is the local one to me at work and descending from the top to Nantgarw is weird. Basically for about a 1KM the bike really shakes as if it is about to go over. Done this twice now on two different bikes and same issue.

Has anyone ridden down this and had the same experience or any explanation for it ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

ianrobo | 9 years ago
0 likes

someone else suggested that but speaking to people at work cars have an issue on this stretch of the road, will pop it into the LBS and get it checked.

dgunthor | 9 years ago
0 likes

sounds like a loose headset

Welsh boy replied to dgunthor | 9 years ago
0 likes
dgunthor wrote:

sounds like a loose headset

Hey dgunthor, that is a fantastic diagnosis by email, how do you do it? Could you tell me what is wrong with my left pedal please, it clicks a bit sometimes.

si.brown | 9 years ago
0 likes

Never had any issues descending any of the routes myself.

(Sorry to be pedantic, but it's Caerphilly  26 )

Judge dreadful | 9 years ago
0 likes

You need to ride more Carephilly.

kwi replied to Judge dreadful | 9 years ago
0 likes
Judge dreadful wrote:

You need to ride more Carephilly.

That's Edam fine pun, none Grater in my opinion.

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Never experienced it on any of the descents off the mountain (or any other descent come to that).
Are you sitting too far back without enough weight on your front wheel making it light and vague?
Have you got a very short stem making the steering twitchy?
Is your front tyre over/under inflated?
Are either wheels buckled (even slightly)?
Is you headset worn and slightly notched?

Any/all of these factors may contribute to wobble at speed so try checking them all.

Latest Comments