Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Jack of all trades, Master of none.

HI All, I have been reading through your forum for the last couple of months now and thought i would post up and get involved. To introduce, currently i have no bikes and am actually a runner. I have decided i want to get into cycling for a number of reasons. Firstly i would like to train for a duathlon (running and cycling, am not great at swimming), secondly i would like to mix my training up and do something different to keep me fit on a number of levels and thirdly i was thinking i could combine this in as my daily commute to work!

I have been looking at investing in a bike that fits all of those three reasons stated above and am looking to take into your knowledge to see if i can find a one bike fits all for those activities above! To do this i think it would be good if i could get an aero road bike in the hope that i could be fast for my duathlons but also something that is comofortable that i could use to train for the duathlons on the same bike and then from time to time maybe go into work (Not as important). Taking that into mind i have name some bikes below and was wanting to get your thoughts. Also if anyone could comment and let me know what part of the bike i should pay attention to if i am wanting to go for speed. I am looking to sell my motorbike to fund this so will have about 1000 - 1500 to play with.

Thanks for reading

Bikes under consideration

Ribble Aero 883
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-aero-883?part=B...

Planet x
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXNANORIV22/planet-x-nanolight-sram-rival...

Boardman 9.0
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/air90.html

Felt AR 5 (last year model with 10 spd 105 - new model with 11spd 105 is 1800!)
http://bestbikeproducts.com/m5b36s6p3929/FELT-AR5-2014/RS_GB/15716

btwin mach 720
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mach-720-carbon-road-bike-id_8311471.html

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Pauljb1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks

Good info. Definitely I think it is best that I get my bike fitness up before investing in bigs parts like 6800 or better wheels.

Does any one have any positive or comments on the makes if bikes above or the people who make and sell them. Most of them are all similar in spec so not much to choose between them.

If I bought the felt ar5 2014 model with 10speed 105 would that be a pain if I was to upgrade?

Thanks

Aapje | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ultegra isn't going to make you faster. Save the money and focus on other stuff.

Do an online bike fitting to get an idea of what you need:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Take the results with a grain of salt, but it should provide a clue at the range you are looking at.

Don't worry about good wheels yet. Use budget wheels until you get some training in and are sure that you want to continue this. At this point you haven't got the ride fitness to benefit from better wheels, so it is just a liability.

Pauljb1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments this far.

Interesting you mentioned the gearing. Most of the bikes up there are all 105. I have been reading and people seem to say that 6800 is not worth the extra money over the new 11spd 105. Is this true? Is there any speed advantage on the road for racing? I know shifts etc will be smoother and it will be about 300g lighter. But as someone pointed out it will cost more to replace rhe 6800 parts once they wear down too. So do u really get that much more performance for your money?

In terms of geometry it is hard for me to do that with some of these bike as they are order online such as the ribble and Planet X and there isn't too many bike shops that have some of these models in Northern Ireland. Is it impossible to use the fittings guides for each bike to pick the frame size? I am 6ft2 with 33inch inside leg.

You mentioned most bikes will have budget wheels, what is a good pair? As with the ribble I can custom build. What about rs61 clincher? Are the wheels the best part to invest in if I am looking to
Improve speed?

Clip on tri bars are definitely the way I plan to go. As I realise that tri or tr bikes aren't suitable for for anything else but racing. That's why I am wanting to get an aero road bike so if the racing doesnt work out I have a bike I can have other uses for and or is easier to sell.

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would focus on the frame. The wheels are usually poor and you may decide to later to buy some deep section ones for the dualthlon. From my experience, carbon Felt frames, even on their budget models, are superb and really worth upgrading.

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

They all look like good bikes for starters. The main problem with your question is that bike fit is personal and bikes have different geometry. So you may be a better fit for 58 in one bike and a 56 in another (for instance). You really need to the out, which is what 80% of the rest of the posters will likely say.

After that I would check the specs on the wheels and gearing. To be honest, with each of those bikes you're likely to have bargain wheels, but I wouldn't go for less that Shimano 105 on the gearing (or SRAM/Campag equivalent). In fact knowing whether you prefer SRAM, Shimano or Campag is useful (I'm a Shimano man - double tabs are over complicated and the thumb shifter seems odd).

There's no right and no wrong for what you want to do, just research and a gut feeling.

You'll probably want to invest in some clip on tri bars, but you don't want to commute in that position - so if anyone starts blabbing about aero and tribikes ignore unless you've decided the commute is out.

wellcoordinated replied to Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes
Colin Peyresourde wrote:

double tabs are over complicated

You're having a laugh right? I'm ringing out my smalls..

Latest Comments