Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

dura-ace C50 can I convert 10 speed to 11 speed?

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere.

Basically what are the options?

Seems as if the DIY machine it down option is one for someone with the correct tools and the acceptance of ruining things (I'm not likely to opt for this option)

Getting a brand new 11 speed hub. But this has to be straight pull not J bend so where and how much are these gonna be?

Is it possible to replace the freehub body?

There must be lots of folk who've had to deal with this

Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

hennahairgel | 9 years ago
0 likes

So I've got a set of RS80 C50's that I like and am mulling the same 10sp-11sp issue. There's an interesting page I found interesting page I found that looks at the differences in spacing for a DT Swiss hub, but is probably applicable within reason.

My approach was going to be:

• Get an 11sp freehub
  • Fit it and see how much overall width is added to the hub (I think it's 1.85mm)
  • Sand/machine down the LH spacer washer to take some space out.
  • Re-dish wheel and adjust brakes

I've got a spare RS80 hub so I was going to mock the whole thing up to see without having to touch my actual wheel. There seems to be a commonality of parts between RS80 and RS61 and there Shimano tech docs and explosive diagrams are worth looking at.

Issues I haven’t yet considered are how much can I re-dish the wheel without weakening it or running out of thread on the spoke.

What is the actual overall width difference of the hubs? As per the previous page there appears to be a 1mm overall increase in with, so can the frame accommodate this without issue. Hence I’d only need to remove 0.85mm from the LH spacer. This would then need only a 0.85mm re-dish and I’d ignore that as it could easily be handled by brake adjustment.

And the other issue: Will a RS61 (or RS21 as they are interchangeable) freehub physically fit on the hub. The internal splines look the same whereas the RS81 differ. I think they would, but without actually getting hold of a freehub I wouldn’t know.

So I think I know what I need to do: buy a freehub and see.

Dr Plumbster | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Yes it is about £170!! I was told about this today... not an option for me I'm afraid, might as well get a new rear wheel!

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have seen a cassette that lets you go from 10 -11....shimano compatible, Pricey if I remember? However, apologies, I can't remember the brand?? It was in a recent mag I was poach reading in WH Smith.

Latest Comments