Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Will running improve (or harm) my riding?

Fellas, and ladies, please be kind to this question. It might seem like an impossible one to answer, but will the action and activity of running improve (or harm) any aspect of my cycling? I'm a 48-year old competent club rider, I don't train or race, I just ride - and I can ride all day long (when I've got the time). There are times when I don't even have two hours to spare for a ride. My question is - will running for an hour a couple of times a week improve or harm my riding, or will it have no physiological effect on the mechanics of riding a bike? (I have no pretensions of competing in triathlon either). I'm keen to learn from those will similar experiences.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

barbarus | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love to run, my running partner never really got the hang of cycling:

Matt eaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

My 2p worth: If you're not racing there's no need to worry about the marginal benefits/disbenefits of running (or any other activity for that matter).

I did a bit of running over the winter to establish a little bit of conditioning for CX as I found even short running sections really took it out of me. I think it helped. I won't run much for the next few months, maybe just the odd jog if I'm out of town for work without my bike, but I will start to build in short runs in preparation for CX season from late summer ish onwards.

1860 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Runnings fine as long as you don't add swimming and become a triathlete.

Low Speed Wobble | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks to everyone for the outstanding feedback and sage advice. I'll give it a go, carefully at first. Yes. Looking forward to it now. Splendid. Thank you.

11speedaddict replied to Low Speed Wobble | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just something that hasn't been mentioned and I have been riding and running for 25 years, I have discussed this with runners from my club who have taken up cycling and we agree on one thing :
Running helps your cycling especially hard efforts plus helps weight management. Just as long as you do not get injuries which is easier said than done.
Cycling does not help your running quite the opposite as cycling shortens your hamstrings which has a detrimental effect on running. Stretching helps counter this.
If I am training for a marathon I always give up cycling ( which kills me as I prefer cycling to running ) as it has a habit of giving me minor niggles.
Obviously we are all different but that has been my experience plus friends of mine.
So, running helps cycling but not vice versa.

Low Speed Wobble replied to 11speedaddict | 9 years ago
0 likes
11speedaddict wrote:

So, running helps cycling but not vice versa.

In this case, it's going to be ideal.

adrianoconnor | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cross training is always good! You should definitely give it a go if you're already thinking you might like it.

Like somebody else already said, you should ease yourself in and build up slowly -- if you're a strong cyclist the temptation will be to go out and use your anaerobic capacity to smash running too, but you need to let your muscles/frame adapt. Very soon you'll pick up speed and if you stay injury free you'll really enjoy it.

I think you'll notice a difference on the bike too -- because all of the stabilising muscles around the tops of your thighs and torso will become stronger. Also, standing up on the pedals to accelerate up hill is far easier thanks to running fitness.

The main downside is finding enough spare time to fit in the running as well as cycling and everything else...

As an aside, you should also think about doing core-strength exercises too, if you don't already (either free weights, body-weight stuff or yoga), and swimming is great too.

whufan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I cycle, I run, I take part in duathlons. I'm not a cyclist, I'm not a runner and I'm not a duathlete. I just enjoy them all, although my cycling is the stronger of them all. Oh, and make it all off-road and I'm a very happy person!

mikem22 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Think about swimming. I was never a good swimmer as a kid but taught myself about 10 years ago. I now swim 3 times per week as there is a pool over the road from work and feel it really aids my cycling. I have fewer aching days in the saddle and my core is a lot stronger. I always go for a gentle recovery swim the day after a long ride and this seems to aid recovery.

I am 45 and don't get on particularly well with running. If you can learn to swim then it will always be with you as you get older, unlike running or other impact sports.  1

Having said that I can also see that cross training would also be good to do in the off season.

mlimburn | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's helped me, I now run twice a week. I have a rheumatoid condition, and so I’m not supposed to run. But I want to complete a Triathlon this year. The running in particular, seems to have helped improve leg strength and balance.
However the above is true work into it gradually, and make sure you are running correctly, which should help with the joint issues.

Colin Peyresourde | 9 years ago
0 likes

So much to say so little space to say it. Basically there are benefits from running (for cyclists), but like most things you need a holistic approach to it all. If you haven't run for a while you may need to develop tendon and ligament strength which isn't done over night. A lot of people do burn out their knees etc running, but usually because they don't do enough flexibility training. Running is one of the more wearing exercises you can do, but done correctly you can keep going for a long time.

Build up slowly as others have said - start with 10-15 minutes and then very gradually extend. Try the book 'Ready to Run' by Kelly Starett. That will give you a no injury approach to doing it.

nuzzle | 9 years ago
0 likes

No, it will not. Because, in fact, a lot of cycling has not improved my running capabilities.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its a bit too triathlete isn't it  19

But srsly, running is certainly useful for keeping bones healthy and providing some impact-but only in moderation

Comrade | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm 49 jog a bit and ride a bit. I have found over the last couple of years I can only train for one or the other, otherwise I'm too knackered! But I try to cross train at least once a week. Make sure you build the running gradually or else you won't be doing any. My mantra...slow is fast! Good luck!

philbo | 9 years ago
0 likes

As a personal trainer and sports therapist with numerous clients who are runners, cyclists or triathletes I can offer you the following advice:
1. Cycling generally leads to various muscle imbalances and injuries, especially lower back and shoulders. There is also evidence of bone density issues amongst older cyclists as cycling is a non/low impact activity.
2. Runners are generally knackered by the time they hit 45-50.
3. Triathletes seem to go on for ever. The mix of training, gym, pool, run, bike and conditioning is very holistic.
Bit of a generalisation but my conclusion after many years in the trade.

Ian Allardyce replied to philbo | 9 years ago
0 likes
philbo wrote:

As a personal trainer and sports therapist with numerous clients who are runners, cyclists or triathletes I can offer you the following advice:
1. Cycling generally leads to various muscle imbalances and injuries, especially lower back and shoulders. There is also evidence of bone density issues amongst older cyclists as cycling is a non/low impact activity.
2. Runners are generally knackered by the time they hit 45-50.
3. Triathletes seem to go on for ever. The mix of training, gym, pool, run, bike and conditioning is very holistic.
Bit of a generalisation but my conclusion after many years in the trade.

I second that. A combinantion of too much desk sitting and only cycling can lead to shortened/tight hamstrings. A bit of running can go someway to rectifying that.

Matt eaton replied to Ian Allardyce | 9 years ago
0 likes
Ian Allardyce wrote:

A combinantion of too much desk sitting and only cycling can lead to shortened/tight hamstrings. A bit of running can go someway to rectifying that.

+1

Most of my training of late has focussed on short sprint efforts (I'm a BMXer) and earlier this week I could barely reach my knees let alone my toes. Running does help with this. I did an easy road ride in 'recovery' mode this morning which also seems to have helped.

dotdash | 9 years ago
0 likes

I would love to run again but I've bene told not to due to the rods in my spine and the jaring doing more damage to my back.

It's a shame as once you get into it and you have that moment when you are at one with your body and mind with you being totally in the zone with everything working together feeling unbeatable is amazing. I'm yet to get that on the bike.

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yes, go running but ease into it with short runs and don't increase your distance more than 10% per week.
I would recommend running off road to be easier on your joints and if your location allows then trail running is great exercise. If you can find a good loop with some ups and downs and twists and turns its also good for balance and agility.

Daveyraveygravey replied to joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes
joemmo wrote:

Yes, go running but ease into it with short runs and don't increase your distance more than 10% per week.
I would recommend running off road to be easier on your joints and if your location allows then trail running is great exercise. If you can find a good loop with some ups and downs and twists and turns its also good for balance and agility.

Would agree with this totally. Start with two 20 min runs per week and build slowly. Your HR will be higher when running so don't be freaked out by that. I love cycling but the faffing about in winter getting all the clothes and lights ready is a pita when you can put a long sleeve top and shorts on and be straight out there

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm all for getting off the bike and doing other stuff. I used to run a lot, but these days its just too hard. I've been into rock climbing for the last few years and when I'm being good and doing it regularly it really helps build and maintain my core (you need it for high steps/rock overs and mantles). I had a break before christmas from climbing for a couple of months and found my overall fitness nosedived. Cycling got harder and I got progressively slower, its only the last month or so I've been back climbing and I can feel my fitness is getting back to where it was several months ago before I dipped. So I'd say doing other stuff is definitely beneficial, just don't do football the number of people with wrecked knees and hips from football astounds me. I remember once sitting in A&E on a Sunday afternoon and half the guys in the waiting room were muddied up, still wearing their Football clobber and nursing damaged legs.

Pauljb1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Folks, Just about to put a few posts up around a similar kind of running cycling theme. But just thought i would comment after reading all your comments above. I am first and foremost a runner and the symptoms you described above are a combination of not running enough and or running to hard. I think it would benefit your cardio and stamina but like it has been mentioned start easy and build yourself up. I am here to think about trying something different so i don't get sick of doing the one sport over and over so running might help mix things up a bit too. I suggest you get down and give your local Park Run a go!

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm in the no camp; went from fell running to road racing, and the fastest riders up hill aren't going out doing secret fell runs...

stever replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nothing to see here. I see you can't delete comments then...

stever replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

I'm in the no camp; went from fell running to road racing, and the fastest riders up hill aren't going out doing secret fell runs...

Depends on the race - they are in the Three Peaks CX  1

stever | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm mostly an offroad or fell runner. That definitely helps with climbing on the bike.

Arno du Galibier replied to stever | 9 years ago
0 likes
stever wrote:

I'm mostly an offroad or fell runner. That definitely helps with climbing on the bike.

Really? What kind of bike do you have?

4 I'll get me gillet...

Quince | 9 years ago
0 likes

There was an article written on this site a few months ago (http://road.cc/content/feature/134734-put-down-your-bike-and-move-slowly...) that you might want to take a look at. In short; thumbs up for running (to a degree).

I think it's helpful to have a bit of impact-sport alongside all the sitting down on the bike. For your bones' sake (apparently), and also to add some variety from sitting all scrunched up in an aerodynamic ball forever. I think it offers a little more 'bang 4 buck' too, especially when factoring in the time getting changed, bike maintenance etc.

Running on grass/off-road might also ease some of the issues associated with smashing your body into concrete for hours on end.

Anyway, yeah, think about it.  3

middlering | 9 years ago
0 likes

Based on my experience over last couple of years, running definitely has helped my riding. Cardio has improved, as has my climbing out of the saddle. It's helped the overall fitness too, with weight control and fewer back issues.

Would definitely agree with @alotronic on starting slow, and easing into it. Unlike cycling, running can get really hard on joints and muscles if you suddenly up the mileage a lot.

bike_food | 9 years ago
0 likes

I personally don't find running and cycling complement each other that well, and as I've got older I find if I do run I need to do so at least 3 times per week to avoid tiredness and cramp in legs after each run which can last up to a couple of days.
Bit of a viscous circle really, need to run frequently but then that means you end up training most days when including cycling or run less often and walk around with stiff legs all the time.
However I love the simplicity of running, kit on out the door, no cars, punctures etc to worry about and no bike to maintain when you get back.

Pages

Latest Comments