Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Win a Parlee - PLEASE HELP!!

ALL

Can you do me a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE favour please?

I’ve been shortlisted (WITH JUST 4 OTHERS) to win one of these BADBOYS -

http://www.parleecycles.com/altumr-overview/

from Parlee, one of my favourite high end Bike brands… (crazy high end kit).. Seriously, the kind of kit you could NEVER afford to buy.

Anyway, I’ve submitted a quick design and peeps are voting on them here:

https://www.facebook.com/CyclistMag/photos/pcb.605579892907907/605579772...

Could you all please vote for mine (you just have to “ Like” it - hell get everyone in the house (with an individual FB account) to vote, get your friends and family to vote, I wanna win this sucka!!!! If you could also share it, that would be great, really need to get the votes motoring.

I appreciate its pretty cheeky, but heh .. whatever it takes eh ..

Cheers Guys, really appreciate any help you can give.

I would give my right arm for one of these, make it happen kids … who knows I might finally have a ride that fits me …  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

stealfwayne | 8 years ago
0 likes

SO i just received my prize for 3rd place. Thanks Cyclist. ( i like the bottle, nice branding) I will be putting that to good use.

On the point of most of the above comments - I do feel like phax71 has been robbed.  102 But now that the chappie has announced he has won means there is no hope of a rightfully placed winner.

Happy to have come third but disappointed that the general consensus is that somehow the winner was decided upon prior to it being announced and some fixing was in place to ensure this.

I will tonight let Cyclist and Parlee know of my despondency to them currently. Both produce the best products out there and in my mind seemed to be honorable - I thought Cyclists make better people - not in this case.

backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes

done

edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

The link farrell posted takes you to the 'winners' page, where if you scroll down you'll see a picture of his design with a number of comments, one of which is from the aforementioned 'Evasive Manoeuvre' where he states ' i feel that i am really a part owner of this new kit seeing as my contribution to your winning was quite significant.'

I've screen grabbed it if you need a copy.

I feel sorry for you, and it just makes my suspicions even stronger that these Facebook 'like and you'll win' comps are just marketing tat and no prizes are ever awarded anyway.

phax71 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ok, gonna put this to bed now before everyone's bile starts flying..

I'm angry because I believe it was rigged, the more contact I have had with Marketing at Cyclist, the more I believe it to be a total stitch-up, very shady altogether.. They still have not told me who won and have avoided any tricky questions altogether.

The FB page does state, "he number of likes will be used to help them" .. But the initial Competition email stated, "Your designs will then be subject to a public vote via our Instagram and Facebook accounts, quite simply the design with the most likes will be put in to production and presented to you".

I think that link has been removed Farrell, I can't see anything on it.

Trust me, I work in Marketing, this was a Stitch up from the off. All sour grapes aside, what'll be will be and all that . Rigged though, I'm convinced of it.

timb27 replied to phax71 | 8 years ago
0 likes
phax71 wrote:

Trust me, I work in Marketing

Love this line  3

All jokes aside, I get how pissed off you must be that you thought you were in with a chance of getting a free Parlee frame, but as someone works in marketing, you must understand how these things so often work. Someone gets an inside track, or an unfair advantage. And it's in nobody's interests to turn a fun competition into an indepth investigation.

farrell | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well this fella is fairly confident he has won:
https://www.facebook.com/OneMomentPlease

My spidey-senses are also tingling at this comment:
"i feel that i am really a part owner of this new kit seeing as my contribution to your winning was quite significant."

Chasseur Patate | 8 years ago
0 likes

I thought the grey one was by far and away the nicest. Just saying.....

Joking aside, it does look dodgy though, Farrel's bob on with those suspect likes. I don't think you should let it go, they have a duty to make sure it's a fair competition.

RR | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd also let it go.

The Cyclist facebook post only states that Parlee will make the decision, and only that the number of likes will be used to help them. It doesn't say the design with the most likes will actually win. This means it is hard to prove that any bulk voting influenced the decision, especially if they were aware of it at the time.

Cyclist do have to publish or make available the winners name though.

timb27 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Life's too short to get angry because you wanted something really expensive for nothing and didn't get it.

0 likes

damn, just seen your post..
Hell that stinks, I have been a loyal subscriber since the first edition and I may have to cancel that on principle. If it was the Grey one that won, then that is appalling and they have been caught out thanks to farrell's investigation work. [THanks Farrell]

Until they announce the winner I guess we'll never know

phax71 replied to stealfwayne | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Wayne

I doubt they'll announce the winner at all (unless they read this thread) .. I've had to chase James a couple of times and each time I got a response my faith in the whole Competition lessened ..

Easy to see this as sour grapes .. I don't feel it is, I think I've been screwed over royally so will be talking with both Ofcom and ASA who oversee gaming and competitions and suchlike .

I have backed up all data, screen grabs, communication, etc and will be looking to prove a point.

My background is marketing so I have a good idea of how these things work.

I too have subscribed since Issue 1 and TBF it is the best on the shelf but this has left a sour taste in my mouth.

All the best ..

0 likes

HI phax71,

i just received a mail from James, Twas not me that won  40 - so good luck - I feel nervous for you...

happy riding.

phax71 | 8 years ago
0 likes

To update

Chased up promoter again and was told I didn't win ... wasn't told who did though ..

My guess is that the Cream/Grey one did and it was pre-determined .. hence the phantom votes.

A shame really as I really rate CYCLIST magazine, but this really smells very bad to me ..

phax71 | 8 years ago
0 likes

To update

Chased up promoter again and was told I didn't win ... wasn't told who did though ..

My guess is that the Cream/Grey one did and it was pre-determined .. hence the phantom votes.

A shame really as I really rate CYCLIST magazine, but this really smells very bad to me ..

phax71 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Heh Farrell

Mate, you are a gentleman!!

I don't have a FB account so whereas some of those links are openly viewable, others require a Log In.... TBH though I think I can see enough within those that are visible to back up my case COMPLETELY and UNCATEGORICALLY.

I have emailed the promoter and included your info as I'm absolutely gutted with the way it panned out ... It seems that just my design started getting some REAL attention BOOM, 500 likes appear from nowhere .. I spotted it immediately and as you also suggested, my immediate suspicion was that these "likes" had somehow been "purchased".. I did notify the promoter immediately too.

Lets see what they come back with.

Thanks again, really appreciate your efforts!!

P

farrell | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've also sent the above info to Cyclist magazine via facebook, I doubt they will respond to me but if they do I'll let you know.

farrell | 8 years ago
0 likes

And my gut instinct (with absolutely no basis, proof or evidence at all to back it up) is that there is a connection to the surge in 'likes' with this person:
https://www.facebook.com/evasiv3manoeuver

I have utterly nothing to justify this belief, nothing at all, other than a gut feeling based on experience and a bit of snooping via this list of people that liked the picture:
https://www.facebook.com/browse/likes?id=605579779574585

For a bit of disclosure, back in the Myspace heyday and at the start of facebook myself and others used to 'pimp' social media profiles, boosting likes and followers all over the shop, often for financial or alcoholic rewards.

farrell | 8 years ago
0 likes

Absolutely bent as fuck that mate.

Just a quick browse through the people that have liked the picture brings up profiles like this, which in my experience have all the hallmarks of fake/bot profiles:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006557136816
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006242646555
https://www.facebook.com/bilal.maroof.37
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007057005219
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008339977090
https://www.facebook.com/popy.akter.9256

What's also interesting is that the majority of 'likes' I looked at all also seem to like this page:
https://www.facebook.com/pura.vida.75033

That page is openly promoting the use of FB liking services (left hand side of the page, under the photos of the hats)

Quote:

Alice Santos Coimbra
20 March at 17:39
(Y) Www. VipAutoLiker .Com (Y) [[689821831144496]]

Quote:

Ranjit Solanki
17 March at 20:13
(y) Www. NextLiker .Com (y)

I've no involvement in this contest, but I do have a sense of fairness and this is absolutely screaming foul play.

phax71 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi

No not heard a thing ... I expected as per James' emails that we'd all hear at close of Comp on Wednesday. I chased him up on Thursday and was told he was speaking with Parlee on Friday morning and that all entrants would be notified by end of Friday ..

Still nothing ..

TBH, I think the whole thing possibly smells a little, I can't say I'm overly confident ..

We'll see though, I may be wrong.

0 likes

Hey phax71 - I haven't heard anything. Did you win, do I doth my cap in your direction to a game well played?

I saw a Parlee in Finchley on Sunday - as if I was having my nose rubbed in my failure.  20

stealfwayne | 9 years ago
0 likes

No response, but wasn't really expecting one. I have also mailed James, but now fear that the game is up to the gods. So if fairness wins out happy riding your new steed. If not I say again. We played honestly and with integrity, we can hold our heads up high ( you higher than  28 Karma will surely pay a part in his future.

phax71 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ha ha, Bet you didn't get a response ..

Seriously though, if you feel aggrieved (and I certainly do as I was in front with the votes at that stage), you should contact the promotor (James) .. I have and also dropped an email to Parlee to inform them too..

I guess what'll be will be though eh...

0 likes

On his comment board I just asked the question how he rigged it? I figure I have now nothing to loose

0 likes

Yeah i saw that. I would guess either they are part of a religious cult and brainwashed the followers into voting, or more likely has a very popular friend on twitter.. either way; I, and I guess you entered into it honestly and can hold our heads up high in that the race was played fair. Performance enhancing votes wins the parlee  102 until 5 years later a report by the UCI opens the lid on the problems. then all accolades are removed.

phax71 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ha .. No worries...  1

I dont do Facebook (Devils work) so am just relying on friends, family and general bikelovers /bikenerds to cast their votes so figured I may find a few appreciative votes in here .. However, the contest has been SCAMMED I fear ... Mine and the current leader were virtually neck and neck from the off, leapfrogging each other by 20/30 votes here and there ..

Then last night in a matter of just minutes, he added exactly 500 votes from NOWHERE, and then just 20ish in the past 14/15 hours. I don't know how its done as I'm not a Facebooker (I'm assuming you can buy likes on Facebook somehow), but it's been SCAMMED for sure and I've emailed the promoter to say as much.

Good Luck with your entry.

0 likes

Great idea - Should have thought of that for my own submission. 'The Green one'.
It looks like you're ahead of me. still nice design and good luck.
If you're reading this and are ambiguous to the choices. click his link and go through the other wonderful liveries to make a choice for yourselves, then like the green one... hee hee  19 .
Sorry Phax71, I couldn't resist.

Latest Comments