Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

colnago paint crack

Washing my bike a few days ago, noticed a crack in the paintwork exposing the bare carbon underneath, pretty gutted, not what I was expecting to see on a £3,500 frame.

It's on the entry to the cable port where the metal ferrule enters the frame.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

FMOAB | 9 years ago
0 likes

Matt black paint job? A 99p bottle of matt black nail varnish works wonders, even comes with its own applicator brush

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was going to suggest plastic ferrules. Or use Jagwire cables, they're ever so slightly thinner overall, and have very fine alloy ferrules.

kev-s | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its a common problem on colnago frames that dont allow you to use a complete outer cable

Ive had a couple of clx 3.0's, a clx 2.0 and a Ace all do exactly the same

Now my C59 and M10 both allow you to run a complete outer so don't suffer with this problem

The only thing that may prevent it is to use plastic ferrals rather than metal ones

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

..and I've just been to Gateshead today! Only passing through, but I could see the potential for good riding territory..

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I approached things in a different way to you and I am too critical of your approach, sorry.

I bought the best things I could afford and then watched them get slung in the back of cars and vans on the way to races, then I realized that once that 'shiny new thing' thing had worn off, I could really get on with the task in hand and that's the way I think now.

We think about cycling in different ways, and I'm only offering an opinion, not a criticism...  1

Leeroy_Silk replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

I bought the best things I could afford and then watched them get slung in the back of cars and vans on the way to races, then I realized that once that 'shiny new thing' thing had worn off, I could really get on with the task in hand and that's the way I think now.

I'm with you 100% here, all bikes should be ridden, used and abused for their intended purpose. I understand wanting to keep a bike looking its best but knocks and scrapes are all part of the game. Nothing in the world looks more awesome than a race bike or racing car showing battle scars, or a anything vintage showing its natural patina.

Incidentally, I'm looking at buying a C60 and one of the things I like is the purposefull, utilitarian design, although my paint choice is raw lacquered carbon adding further to the built to be ridden look rather than a pretty show queen.

dazzle | 9 years ago
0 likes

lol, I think you've got a point, you know me far too well now.

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh, I didn't realise it was you...  3

As above, it's a bike. If you want something that doesn't make a noise, or never wears out, or will always be perfect, you need to find a new hobby.

If, on the other hand, you stop buying the most expensive things that you can and stop demanding the most perfect performance from them, and learn to treat them like good tools, you'll be fine.

Buy something cheaper and ride the bejesus out of it; you'll have far more fun.

dazzle | 9 years ago
0 likes

My other bikes have all had a rubber grommet type entry where the metal ferrule meets the cable stop and enters the frame, I don't mind a few paint chips and battle scars that I've caused but this just seems a poor design to me.

thesaladdays replied to dazzle | 9 years ago
0 likes
dazzle wrote:

noticed a crack in the paintwork exposing the bare carbon

Don't worry, carbon won't rust  3

pablo | 9 years ago
0 likes

paint on corners like that will overspray into the hole and probably hasn't adhered 100% the furrule has moved slightly at taken the paint. I wouldn't worry to much it's small and can be touched up its going to pick up scratches and rubs in short order if not you need to ride it more  4

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

not what I was expecting to see on a £3,500 frame.

It's a bike, not an ornament.
It's a tool to do a job with, not a piece of art to be polished and admired.
It has a purpose, it was made to be used, not looked at.
If you can't afford to crash it and walk away, it's too expensive for you to have.

It's really, really not about the bike. It's about the ride.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wee bit touch up on that, you must expect wear there, it's still a bike!

Latest Comments