Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale delivery woes

I have been having a very unhappy time getting hold of my Cannondale Synapse. Ordered back in early January for a mid February delivery date. Recognised that it was a best estimate and was prepared to wait. Delivery date was moved back to end February. Then mid March. Now mid April.

Realise it is a popular bike but it is more that Cannondale have given no explanation, no communication at all and certainly no hint of an apology. My LBS has to look on the order schedule and a new date is just inserted. He's tearing his hair out as he can't get anything out of Cannondale UK and this is impacting a few of his clients. I'm now having to consider cancelling my order and looking at another manufacturer.

Really disappointed in Cannondale. Was so excited about getting the bike.

Is anyone else struggling?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

leopard1 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just received my new synapse carbon ultegra 2 weeks early ordered early Jan received early March and boy, worth the wait, this is a lovely bike all the hype about that bit more comfort is true!! very impressed.

andsaw | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got my Cannondale from Cyclestore, mine was a supersix, and they have loads of synapses but dont know your model, got mine less than a week and got mine through Quidco, as got extras and cashback, https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewerFull.asp?brandID=1317&categoryID=6, don't know if that's any help for you.

arbiter maven | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hopefully have a hi mod ultegra being built today at the LBS.

Ordered 2 weeks ago.

Chap in the shop told me 'standard' synapse was basically sold out! But then he would say that!

The waiting is killing me.

bobinski | 9 years ago
0 likes

Done Clive, again, thanks.

bobinski | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Gossa,
I have sent you a pm/email via contacts here.
cheers
Bob

Gossa replied to bobinski | 9 years ago
0 likes

Can't access it Bob, please email me directly:

marketing [at] cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk

Cheers
Clive

Gossa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Glad to help Stinkers, i'll keep you updated as and when things develop.

We are just a bunch of bike geeks in an office, much like most of you lot I would imagine. We're human too so email us or pick up the phone if you need us but that's also why the dealers make their living from us, to be the middle man and deal with the communication flow.

Hopefully we'll get you out riding just as the decent weather breaks!

Have a good weekend folks.

Stinkers | 9 years ago
0 likes

Having started off a fairly grumpy thread, I think it is only fair to give credit where it is due. Gossa, from Cannondale's UK distributor, has dug around the company, given me the information in detail and even managed to pull some strings to help me out. So I'd just like to say a thanks to Gossa and fingers crossed on seeing my new wheeled beloved soon.

Gossa replied to Stinkers | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just so that you guys know, CSG UK is a subsidiary so we are not a distributor of Cannondale as such, we are Cannondale
(and GT/Fabric/Charge/Mongoose/Schwinn/Sugoi etc etc)

In fact all of the new GT parts and accessories and some of next years Cannondale parts are designed in our Frome office for a global market.

Man of Lard | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe bike manufacturers need to collude with each other and the magazines to make the European Bike of the Year (like it seems the car manufacturers do - oh, it's 5 years since Fiat won, it must be their turn...)  21

Gossa replied to Man of Lard | 9 years ago
0 likes
Man of Lard wrote:

Maybe bike manufacturers need to collude with each other and the magazines to make the European Bike of the Year (like it seems the car manufacturers do - oh, it's 5 years since Fiat won, it must be their turn...)  21

We ordered significantly more Synapse models for 2015 after winning C+ 2014 B.O.Y. but also considered that we probably wouldn't win it two years in a row with the same bike (results are due in about 3 weeks) but then road.cc gave it Sportive and overall B.O.Y.

Without a crystal ball, ordering the bikes is still a 'best guess' on how many will be in demand. You can never get it bang on as there are too many contributing market forces.

However I am also glad its not 'fixed' like the car market.....that wouldn't give punters the best bikes.....

Man of Lard replied to Gossa | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gossa wrote:

However I am also glad its not 'fixed' like the car market.....that wouldn't give punters the best bikes.....

Me too - hence the emoticon. Sometimes though, you just can't find any of 'the' bike you want in stock in the UK - in my case that's lead me to buying it from elsewhere in the EU, because that's the only way I can get the correct size in the model I want before the summer is gone... (Sorry to say it's not a Cannondale this time - but you do your employer massive credit by stepping in here)

Gossa replied to Man of Lard | 9 years ago
0 likes
Man of Lard wrote:

We ordered significantly more Synapse models for 2015 after winning C+ 2014 B.O.Y. but also considered that we probably wouldn't win it two years in a row with the same bike (results are due in about 3 weeks) but then road.cc gave it Sportive and overall B.O.Y.

Without a crystal ball, ordering the bikes is still a 'best guess' on how many will be in demand. You can never get it bang on as there are too many contributing market forces.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've been in contact with the Cannondale rep, it is the same as always, they make a batch, sell out, make another batch and then wait for that to sell out, so they never have any sitting around.

Gossa replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I've been in contact with the Cannondale rep, it is the same as always, they make a batch, sell out, make another batch and then wait for that to sell out, so they never have any sitting around.

Sorry but that is not correct at all. Bikes of this type are generally 120 days minimum lead time from the factories and Cannondale hold anything between 15-25,000 bikes in stock, in the UK at any one time.

The general way it works is that we forecast a number for the year based on our gut feel and the sales history of that particular bike.

2015 Synapse bikes would have been ordered this time last year for first delivery around August. We then place a second order just before we launch the bikes to dealers in August. The reaction and the orders at launch time dictate how many we add or take away from subsequent orders but in total we will have at least 6-8 scheduled deliveries of each bike, at the start of the season and then normally monthly coming to of the winter and into Spring (the main selling season).

You can't just phone a factory and order 'a few more' as a new lead time on an unplanned order is 120 days. The factory has to schedule their component purchases, raw materials, build slots etc. It's pretty complex.

The main issue with the Synapse, in particular the Synapse Ultegra Disc is that it won road.cc bike of the year and that massively puts a spike in demand. Last year when the 105 bike won Cycling Plus Bike Of The Year it sold out overnight (including the model above and below it) so its tough to gauge these spikes as you don't know when they will happen.

Anyways, lets me see what I can find out on your bike there and drop you an email tomorrow.

Clive

Gossa | 9 years ago
0 likes

What is the model, size and ordering dealer and I'll see what I can find out for you.

The only delays I'm aware of are on the SM Ultegra disc because of the delays on the shifter/brakes but let me do some digging for you fella.

Clive
Cannondale

Stinkers replied to Gossa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Appreciate the response, Clive.

Do you have an email I can send the details through to rather than bother everyone else?

Gossa replied to Stinkers | 9 years ago
0 likes

Marketing [at] cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

My LBS has a backlog of customers waiting on the Synapse. Can get anything else from Cannondale with no issues. Infact he took delivery for a few MTB's that aren't even for sale yet.

The popularity of the Synapse has been its downfall, It was the same in 2013 and 2014. They simply don't make enough to keep up with the demand.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure if it's a more general thing with 2015 bikes atm. I ordered a new Rose Xeon CDX bike a couple of weeks ago, only to be told it's a 13 week wait.

When I queried it, they said that there was a delay on the frame (which is obviously Rose specific), but they also said they had to wait on the Shimano hydraulic discs as well - I believe the Synapse has the same brakes?

Livster replied to sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

I bought the 2015 model in November 2014 from Leisurelake cycles they had them is stock months before anyone else.
Evans also had them in stock
Great bike I would recommend it

Latest Comments