Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel building for big timbers/fatties

I'm a 6ft4, 110kg rider planning my next rear wheel build on a pretty tight budget. I have a shimano tiagra hub that's in good shape and am looking for a rim that can stand up to the load it's going to be carrying (problems with previous mavic cxp22 36 spoke rim horizontally deforming). Any recommendations? And any other wheel building tips, for that matter. Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Gordy748 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I build wheels professionally.

Rim
Modern triangular shaped alloy rims are a lot stronger than the rims of old. The crème de la crème is HED, but you will get a lot more value out of a Pacenti SL23 (my go-to alloy rim for the road), or an H + Sons Archetype. Velocity's A23 is also worth a look; it's very good value for what it is.

All of these rims are 23mm wide, so will result in a better handling, more comfortable wheel, especially when matched with a 25mm tire (or up to 28 if your frame can accommodate it).

I'd avoid Mavic. The rims are old technology and Mavic haven't invested in redesigns in years (they want you to use their full wheel solutions, sadly).

Spokes & nipples
I'd recommend Sapim Force spokes. They're butted and highly resilient, but have a thicker neck so are less likely to break. Use the same for both sides; lighter spokes on the non-drive side are a little gimmicky. For nipples, just use brass: DON'T use fancy thread lock designs, something like Sapim's Polyax nipples are fine. Grease the threads in oil; it makes the building easier and when the oil dries out forms a kind of bond that resists unthreading.

Build
1) Use a 3-cross build. When measuring spoke length, ALWAYS round up to the next mm. This ensures the spoke is all the way through the nipple, so the entire nipple is fully used to tension the spoke.
2) Insert drive side spokes first. Insert the pushing spokes (clockwise) with the heads out, so they will be on the outside of the cross with the pulling spokes (this helps if your chain goes off the cassette into the spokes).
3) repeat with the non-drive side. Again, pushing spokes are heads out.
4) True up the drive side spokes first to get your vertical play dialed in (serious, ignore lateral truing and get the rim vertically aligned, just don't make the spokes too tense.
5) Then get the lateral trueness tensioning the non-drive side spokes. By the time the rim is centered the spoke tension should be close to proper tension.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Big Al at Wheelcraft is your man, give him a ring.

Mavic Open pro or Ambrosio Evolution are go to rims for a tough build.

hampstead_bandit | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ask a good wheel builder to build a decent hub like your Shimano, but 36 spoke, 3 cross pattern using quality spokes and brass nipples, into a tough rim like a Mavic Open Pro. If you want to do it yourself, its a great idea but ideally you want access to proper workshop wheel building tools like a jig, dishing tool and tension meter.

Perhaps a local shop with a good mechanic could advise and assist if they have the time?

Slightly higher spoke tension, and balanced tension across the wheel (ideally built with a tension gauge) to ensure its actually well built, properly pre-stressed and then then reworked after tire has been inflated to 100psi, should ensure a long life even for the "more robust" rider  3

ScottishAlien | 9 years ago
0 likes

Apologies, for horizontal read vertical. Not 'taco'd', rather there's a couple of bumps in my current rear that no amount of truing has sorted, which may have been the result of my foot going into the wheel when my pedal crank sheared/snapped...

Thanks for the spoke idea. It's under considerstion.

And yeah, I'm building the wheel myself. That book looks like some good bedtime reading!

CapriciousZephyr | 9 years ago
0 likes

I assume you're doing the build yourself (it sounds like it, but not 100% clear). If you haven't come across it already, Roger Musson's book has all the information you'll need to be able to build a strong wheel. It's the most down-to-earth set of wheelbuilding instructions I know of.

By "horizontally deforming", do you mean something approaching a "taco'ed" wheel? I'm certainly no expert, but from what I understand, even very strong wheels can fail under significant sideways load. So I wouldn't necessarily blame the rim. I'll be interested to see what comments others with more experience than I have.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Try "Strong" spokes, 3-cross, make sure they're properly up to tension, should be fine I would have thought?

Latest Comments