Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recommendations, please!

Hi All,

Another "which bike" thread... here goes...

I'm looking for a disc braked, carbon framed road bike with relaxed geometry and sensible gearing (50/34 and 11-32ish). Budget up to £1800.

Really like the look of the Whyte Stowe Rival but they only make up to a 57cm frame - I'm 6'4" with a 35" inside leg so need 60+cm frame.

The Saracen Avro looks the business, but has "proper" gearing (52/36 and 12-28).

Initially wanted this Giant Defy Advanced 1 but the black/orange colour scheme is only available in the US and I'm not too enamoured with the UK white/red option (plus a mate just bought one).

I've done some research, but only found bikes with either unsuitable gearing or too-small frames.

Any other suggestions, please!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Some chainsets can be a problem - I want a 52/36 on my next bike and some on the shortlist only have a compact. Evans were telling me on certain Fuji Transonic models you have to get an adapter as well as the new chainrings and that could be another 150 quid on top. Other shops are more helpful though.

mistertaylor | 9 years ago
0 likes

Scott Solace 15 Disc looks good too, but well above budget at £2599 - any other recommendations?

climber | 9 years ago
0 likes

The LBS will swap out chainrings for you, ask them.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at Rose Bikes, it's online only but you get a lot for your money.

The Xeon CDX is the one you are looking at, I've just ordered a Xeon CDX 3100 Di2 - but atm it's a 13 week wait until it turns up - so I can't comment on the bike yet.

It's a new model for 2015, so there isn't much in the way of reviews out there yet, other than some recent stuff in German which looks very positive.

Prices from 1.2k to 2.9k depending on groupset. *Everything* is configurable with Rose, so whatever chainset/cassette you fancy.

mistertaylor replied to sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, the CDX was already only my shortlist - will take another look!

Be interested to hear your thoughts when it arrives. Might be a bit of a long lead time for me as I need it for a Coast 2 Coast jaunt in May.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Gearing is relatively easy to change, a chainset could be swapped possibly if you buy from an actual shop (to a full compact) and with a 34/28 you can climb anything short of vertical

mistertaylor replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, 34/28 will most likely be enough - I'll just have to man-up on the 22% gradient on the ride home from work  3

I wouldn't mind having the LBS replace the cassette, but chainrings might be a bit much on top of an already stretched budget (i.e. the wife limit).

Latest Comments