Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

headset bearing sizes

Hi, the headset bearings on my tarmac sl4 (56cm frame) have enjoyed a winter in the garage, clearly damp as after the first ride out, they grind like, well, a grindy thing.

I've whipped them out, and cleaned them up - but sooner or later they will need replacing which brings me in a long winded fashion to my point - what size bearings do I need?

I was hoping to find the sizes stamped on the sides of the existing bearings, but no joy - so i turn to you good folks for help!

Thanks

Rich

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

richcrocker79 | 9 years ago
0 likes

yeah, I never seem to buy anything that is simple for spares! twitter power has been deployed to the specialized service chaps.

as an aside, are ceramic bearings worth the added expense is a headset? I can't see they would be, seeing as they don't really have to move huge amounts, but I suppose they do bear a fair amount of force?

cheers

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Tarmac is an odd size, 1 3/8" on the lower bearing.
Cane Creek are still pretty good, drop them an email chances are they have something that fits.

richcrocker79 | 9 years ago
0 likes

cheers chaps, canecreek don't seem to like 2014 tarmac's but I'll have a hunt around for some callipers and measure up that way.

they're back in the bike now, so hopefully will squeeze a little more out of them yet!

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Or drop these chaps an email, matt [at] airebearings.co.uk. My friend was looking for some bearings for an odd headset, they asked him to send it to them for sizing up and they stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the old one free of charge for him because they didnt have one in stock to replace it with. I have used them several times and they are first rate.

kwi | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cane Creek have a headset size finder, alternatively if the printed on size has gone is get a set of callipers and measure it, bearing (No pun intended.) in mind the angles matter too.
http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Latest Comments