Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Front Rack.

I'm building up to some long trips over the summer. Camping on the way and carting it all on the bike. I've got large bags for the back and plenty of straps and stuff and am looking at the front.

Budget is getting tight after some of the purchases... so, is the any good reason why I can't just mount a rear rack on the front? I've measured up and I'm pretty sure it'd fit. A couple of side bags on it and keeping the weight down it *looks* like it'd work fine (it might look a bit odd but who cares).

Comments?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

or you could make a DIY bar pack like liam did for a few quid

http://road.cc/content/blog/140362-diy-bikepacking-bags

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

search for avenir or m-part low-rider racks, both can be had at around the £20 mark

pakennedy | 9 years ago
0 likes

But I *need* the gear  20

Actually to a certain extent that's true. I've got no support or rescue available. My budget is low enough that ultra-light is a pipe dream. I would love to knock 2kg off my tent and another 5 off the bike. That'd add £1000 or so to the budget though.

I'm *really* not planning on chucking more than a couple of Kg on the front axle and am planning keeping it all low. Also going to test it out multiple times before doing any critical journeys on it.

And, given the measurements, it won't be any more of a bodge than some of the rear rack attachments I've seen. If you can see a set of front racks for less than say £20 I'd skip the attempt.... as long as you can get a bag at equal price to a couple of cheap ebay ones that I'd only fill to half way.

£40 for low rider racks isn't the whole problem. Bags to fit them is.

*Any* suggestions welcomed

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

On a rear rack the panniers sit higher than you would typically want them on a front rack. To improve handling, most front racks hang the panniers about half way up the fork (they're called low-riders).

Maybe you *can* bodge a rear to fit the front, and get some luggage on it, but will it be reliable? Safe? Easy to handle? I'd rather not take those risks for the price of a front-specific rack.

Then again, I think all people with 4 panniers are carrying too much gear. I ditched most of the gear and went ultralight, and can't see myself going back in a hurry.

Latest Comments