Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sportives without a car?

Hi - firstly, apologies if anyone thinks this has been covered well elsewhere...

I'm interested in a few sportive rides this spring/summer, in the run up to Pru 100 and beyond.

I live in London and, like many of us, have no access to a car - was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice they could share about rides accessible by public transport, or possibly just an extra day's ride & a b&b away?

I've never really ridden large organised rides, just go out in packs of two or three and since moving back to the UK a year or so ago have finally got myself in a position to have free weekends and the desire.

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

cycling_on_a_sh... | 9 years ago
0 likes

Quite late in the season, but a short ride from penzance train station is the Lands End 100 in october, really spectacular route, well worth the trip, and the train journey has some pretty amazing views between plymouth and exeter too. http://www.tempusleisure.org.uk/default.aspx?page=587

There's also the plymouth gran fondo, also on the penzance/paddington line in May.

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Maybe join a club and share transport to some events ?

consciousbadger | 9 years ago
0 likes

Train is great but a lot of sportives take place on a Sunday which means fewer trains. It can sometimes be hard to get to the start on time. Some alternatives are B&B the night before close to the start, or hire a car or join a car club.

The alternative is don't do the sportive, but do the same/similar route yourself on a different day, which gives you more flexibility in terms of mode of transport. Sportives are getting very expensive so I'd avoid them to be honest (with one or two exceptions for the really great events). Do your own thing or stick to audaxes.

pruaga | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another Dorking based event is Cycling Weekly Surrey Cyclone:
http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/cycling-weekly-surrey-hills-cycl...

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

The SRS events rides are usually crackers. I've done a few based out of Burgess Hill. Ridden there from London, ridden the sportive, ridden back. Or you could get the train to Brighton and nip over the Beacon...

Judge dreadful | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm doing the prudential ride London 100 in August. I'm riding my bike to the Travelodge at Waterloo, from Southampton, on the Saturday, staying over night Saturday and Sunday, then riding back to Southampton on the Monday. When I lived in Fulham, I used to ride down to Ashurst in the new forest, do the Wiggle Sportives, stop overnight in one of the myriad of hostelries round that way, then ride back to Fulham the following day. It helps with the post sportive stiffness no end, and I always found I recovered more quickly doing it that way.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks JonD, I think I ran into them riding up Ranmore Hill when I was on my way home  1

snappyandrew | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm in the same situation but the problem I find is that the trains don't run early enough on the Sunday. Hoping to Chiltern 100 with the train but most events can be a bit tricky. I would suggest you join a club though. Sunday club rides are great.

harman_mogul replied to snappyandrew | 9 years ago
0 likes
snappyandrew wrote:

I'm in the same situation but the problem I find is that the trains don't run early enough on the Sunday... I would suggest you join a club though. Sunday club rides are great.

+1 for this suggestion. Ride to the rendezvous, next no downtime, 100 km (more in summer), back home early afternoon in time to...do whatever else you might like to do. And you will find companions to ride events when the fancy takes you.

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

If the event is is close enough and they do a shorter route, then cycle out, do the short sportive, then cycle home. I did this last year, I cycled 20 miles to the start, chose the 60mile route, then cycled 20 miles home. You still get in the century and the last few miles are on roads you already know.

Al__S | 9 years ago
0 likes

much as I'm an advocate of train travel... if you've got a licence, a small hire car really isn't that expensive for a weekend. Might need to take the wheels off, and it won't be fun to drive, but often cheaper than a late-booked train. if you can find a friend even cheaper.

MatthewH | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheers all.

climber | 9 years ago
0 likes

Audax. Save yourself a fortune.......just two....
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-583/
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-112/

Hundreds more.

Enjoy.

HalfWheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

One word of caution if using a train.

If you're travelling from London to a sportive I'm thinking that there may well be others with the same idea and bike space on the train might be limited. Up here (in Scotland) you can reserve your bike space a week in advance on some intercity routes. Costs nowt. Maybe it's the same down south?

crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Get the train to Manchester then ride home?

Monksie from STW rode from the velodrome in London to the velodrome in Manchester in a day, he loved it.... (when he got off his bike!)

MatthewH replied to crikey | 9 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

Get the train to Manchester then ride home?

Hmm, maybe Sheffield...

MatthewH | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all so far - really helpful/interesting. Quite like the idea of real early start and warm up ride>train (plus fuel up)>ride to the start>go.

Particularly as I'd most likely be alone for the first couple, there wouldn't be much point trying to 'make a weekend' of it with b&b etc. If I was to do that I guess I may as well go further afield.

JonD | 9 years ago
0 likes

Best check details on the web, but there's the (Sutton & Cheam CTC ?) Hilly50 tomorrow - only 50km but hilly  1 Starts from Rykers cafe at the bottom of Box Hill, nearest station Boxhill & Westhumble.

On sunday is the Surrey Rumble, run by Twickenham CC, goes from Cobham.

First is mebbe a fiver, the second 17..

sergius replied to JonD | 9 years ago
0 likes
JonD wrote:

Best check details on the web, but there's the (Sutton & Cheam CTC ?) Hilly50 tomorrow - only 50km but hilly  1 Starts from Rykers cafe at the bottom of Box Hill, nearest station Boxhill & Westhumble.

Any more details around this? Website?

I live in Sutton, everytime I look into what's nearby there's naff all in the way of cycle clubs that I can find. They are all either racing (not interested), or quite far away.

JonD replied to sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:
JonD wrote:

Any more details around this? Website?

I live in Sutton, everytime I look into what's nearby there's naff all in the way of cycle clubs that I can find. They are all either racing (not interested), or quite far away.

Oops - half right - Cheam & Morden/CTC South West London
http://www.cyclingswlondon.org.uk/

hilly50 is linked on the lhs, but takes you to:
http://cyclingswlondon.blogspot.co.uk/

and sunday:
http://www.twickenhamcc.co.uk/tcc/surrey-rumble/

Re the OP - have a look on cyclechat too.
http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/cyclechat-and-informal-rides.47/

One guy who also posts here -and who's taken a break from it this year I think - was running 'Friday Night Ride To The Coast' - leaving midnight from Wellington Arch (opp. Hyde Park Corner), to places like Southend, Bognor Regis, Brighton, Whitstable. But I think a few other forum members have take over for a few rides this year. Nice routes, and pretty clear in the wee hours, does tend to mess yer following days up a little (YMMV) and I found myself getting chilly waiting for a large-ish group at regroup points...guess I needed to take more clothes ! There was a requirement for CTC membership, but the 'Fridays' was set up as an affiliated club to assist that, with affiliated CTC membership/insurance at something like 19 quid (and the cost of joining the Fridays was a couple of quid IIRC).

Speet0 | 9 years ago
0 likes

One I'm entering this year for the first time, the Chiltern 100, starts from Bovingdon, which is a short (uphill) ride from Hemel Hempstead train station (itself a 30 min journey from Euston)

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

For the ones I know about/am attending:

Wiggle Up&Downs Sportive + Wiggle Work From Home Sportive. Both start out of Dorking, so that's a 45-60 minute train journey from Victoria, depending on which train you get. I reckon it's 5-10 minutes on the bike to get to the Friends Life building (guess as I'm not 100% sure where Dorking Station is!). You could also get off at Box Hill & Westhumble - that's ~5 minutes to the race start.

Wiggle Chiltern Classic - High Wycombe. This is about ~40 minutes on the train from Marylebone (NOTE: I'm not sure what Chiltern railways bike policy is, been years since I've got a train there, usually drive). Wycombe is actually pretty big, I reckon it's a 15 minute ride to the Ground - I'd suspect that's not a nice ride either if you went down the main road out of Wycombe - I've never looked into back roads as I drive there.

wycombewheeler replied to sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

Wiggle Up&Downs Sportive + Wiggle Work From Home Sportive. Both start out of Dorking, so that's a 45-60 minute train journey from Victoria, depending on which train you get. I reckon it's 5-10 minutes on the bike to get to the Friends Life building (guess as I'm not 100% sure where Dorking Station is!). You could also get off at Box Hill & Westhumble - that's ~5 minutes to the race start.

Wiggle Chiltern Classic - High Wycombe. This is about ~40 minutes on the train from Marylebone (NOTE: I'm not sure what Chiltern railways bike policy is, been years since I've got a train there, usually drive). Wycombe is actually pretty big, I reckon it's a 15 minute ride to the Ground - I'd suspect that's not a nice ride either if you went down the main road out of Wycombe - I've never looked into back roads as I drive there.

Main road would not seem busy to London riders.

The Rake replied to sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

Friends Life is right next to Dorking Station. Head to main road, turn right, big office complex on right.

Latest Comments