Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boardman Team Carbon

Hey guys, first post, so hello everyone  1

Currently ride a 2009 Spesh Allez (Alez s500 wheels, Sora groupset, alu frame with carbon forks)

Considering buying a Boardman team carbon in about a months time. So any of you have any first-hand experience of this bike which you could share?

Also, the Boardman is about £500 more expensive than my current bike, but for the money, would it be a noticeable worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

There is a local bike shop in Chester that stocks Boardman - suspect you would get much better service there?

leggz replied to notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Boardman bikes are only sold via Halford Retail outlets. Shame really.

nick_rearden replied to notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

There is a local bike shop in Chester that stocks Boardman - suspect you would get much better service there?

Hi Altitude and welcome, nfe here is right about the Boardmans in Chester - that's the Bike Factory I believe - and he's almost certainly correct that the service will be better in the sense that they will have a pro fit facility but they will only be stocking the Boardman Elite bikes which start at around £2,000. The Performance range which covers the price points up to that and including the one you're looking at are a Halfords exclusive which means you'll need to buy it from one of their stores. Not necessarily a problem if you reassure yourself that you're buying the right size and then be ready to bung your LBS's workshop for a proper going-over.

Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have a Team Carbon Limited Edition, from 2010. It runs sram, and it's pretty frigging great. I have literally no complaints from the frame, groupset or any of that, I will however say that the saddle isn't the best, and the wheels aren't super either. But if you are buying new, you will be getting mavics which are better than the ritcheys that they used to supply them with. Go for it pal, it's a great bike. Plus, I'm pretty friendly with the halfords guys at my branch, and they know what they are doing (some of them at least)

Zaskar | 14 years ago
0 likes

Building mine 2morro after appauling service from Halfrauds.

I won't go into detail of Halfrauds but the bike looks good+spec for the price!

manonabike | 14 years ago
0 likes

I own a Boardman single/fixie and absolutely love it. Ridden through the worst of the winter and its never missed a beat, got a puncture last week so took if off the road stripped it down and now it looks like new. Would definately buy another Boardman without question.

canyonsi | 14 years ago
0 likes

Have to say that so far mine is fine, picked up about a month ago, not got that many miles in yet & just about used to the gears now (!) did change the seat as soon as it got home though.

Taking for first "group" ride this weekend so wondering what other with more expensive kit will think.

As for Bike to Work / Halfords - I (we) went through "runabikescheme" who were great no hassle for me or accounts dept. any questions answered very quickly, and Halfords, went in and in fairness did have to ask to be "seen", but credit due as the "young lad" said "er I dont know" but went and got his mate who did seam to know a bit pointed out some bits got me sitting on and moving seat etc... got another different size bike to compare without any hassle and said to make sure he was on when i picked up.

so all in all month in and no issue - will let you know if "that" good after Cheshire Cat!

Si

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

it's a good idea to put aside £50 to get it set up at your friendly local IBD. i've read plenty of reviews of boardman bikes and even the ones they actually send out to be tested seem to have more than their fair share of minor niggles...

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

I've got the single speed alu. Comp SC (through the bike to work thingy) and its great. so if the same build quality/kit goes through the line which i very much suspect it does then you prob. cant go far wrong for your £1000..
my only reservation was the saddle which seems to be the bog standard for all the Boardman bikes, i'd recommend you budget an extra £25 and get a 'Charge Spoon' instead..

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

We've tested the Pro Carbon, but not the team:

http://road.cc/content/review/11774-boardman-road-pro-carbon

The team is a lower grade carbon in the frame and a lower spec but both bikes are pretty unbeatable in terms of value for money.

funkystevey04 | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hi there,

I dont have a boardman myself, but have been looking long and hard at them, They seem to have good levels of spec and really well laids out, so for the money, they seem great. Not heard many bad things said either.
The thing i had a problem with was the shop, went in 5 times and not once did they ask if i needed help, not like the smaller independent shops that were really helpful.
Cant help thinking that the after sales service would be the same.
for a little more, you could get a German bike called Focus, they come with good spec and also have great write ups. There are some great deals on last year models.
But if 1000 pound is the limit, then the Boardman sounds great, just depends on the shop.

Good luck

Latest Comments