Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Injury / Crash Advice

Hello. I had an accident on my bike today. Three fractured ribs and a broken wrist. Worst of all a shattered frame. I now have to wait for an insurance claim and a crash replacement service. All in all, it will be around six weeks to repair and sadly replace. Looking for advice to keep up with all the hard work I put in over winter and maintain a steady fitness level. I do not have a second bike anymore as I sold it to fund a relocation from London to Yorkshire, so cycling will be out of the equation. Looking for advice on maintaining and building back to fitness. This years racing feels like a long way away. Cheers in advanced.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

HaasUnica | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheers everyone for the advice. Awesome. Insurance is going to cover the replacement frame which is a massive relief. Going to get on the static trainer, and maybe do some good core work/yoga. Might also get out for a run when I am feeling up to it. Again thank you for the advice and comments. Cheers.

Matt eaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I broke my wrists in December and spent quite a lot of time on the turbo with some clip-on aero bars (I think I've actually lost fitness since being able to ride out in the real world again). I also did some running but I don't know how ribs would hold up to that.

I know that this might not help much if you don't have a bike to use but you never know.

PJP | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think Unistriker is coming from the smartest place. Sometimes going in the deep end and cross training with gym work is just what your riding needs.

But given your injuries, consult your physicians first. Deadlifting with a few broken ribs seems more Rule 5 than anyone needs to be.

ciderman_100 | 9 years ago
0 likes

do as much as you can see if anybody has a turbo and bike you can borrow as just spin as hard as you can with your ribs,get off the painkillers as quick as you can.get on the turbo do it until it hurts then take 5mins of that time and use that as a guide if you do till pain kicks in you won't want to do it. the ribs will be the problem as you know,no deep breaths.

miro_o | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds nasty. Heal fast.

Regular, fairly intense, short sessions are what'll keep your aerobic fitness. How compatible those are with your injuries I don't know.

You can buy a magnetic trainer from ebay for the price of a month's gym membership. Or spin at the gym (and lift some weights).

Here's a good blog about keeping fitness during 'down-time'.
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/how-much-down-time-is-too-muc...

dotdash | 9 years ago
0 likes

Whilst it's not great 6 weeks isn't a long time and you should get that fitness back quite quickly. I can feel my fitness coming back just over 3 rides.

However your ribs might hurt for up to 4 months (or at least mine did)

unistriker | 9 years ago
0 likes

Go on a Mad Bulk for Six Weeks. Hit the GYM Legs twice a week. Get some deadlifts in. Core Work. Aim to put on 5 % of your body weight.

Come back to the bike and youll have so much raw power. Not much endurance but MORE POWER fixes most things.

Latest Comments