Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A quick technical question.

I have a Boardman MX Comp Crosstrail (I won it in an auction). It's got a 135x9 32 hole QR rear hub, which has developed a bit of a wobble. Before I take the wheel off to try and sort it, is it going to be cone and cup, or cartridge. The Boardman website doesn't specify.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Boardman stock wheels aren't usually up to much. Poorly sealed formula hubs with non-replaceable bearing cups.

Shimmy xt m756 hubs build a great, cheap 29er wheel

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

The Boardman stock wheels aren't usually up to much. Poorly sealed formula hubs with non-replaceable bearing cups.

Judge dreadful replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

Cheers for that. I took the wheel off and managed to nip the bearings up for the time being. Whilst I had the cassette off, I gave it a clean up. It's showing a fair bit of sharks toothing across most of the sprockets, I'll probably go with a Shimano 10 speed replacement, whilst I'm at it.

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

The wobble is most likely to be at the rim rather than the hub, in which case it shouldn't be hard to straighten out. There are plenty of tutorials on wheel truing online.

Judge dreadful replied to joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes
joemmo wrote:

The wobble is most likely to be at the rim rather than the hub, in which case it shouldn't be hard to straighten out. There are plenty of tutorials on wheel truing online.

I wasn't clear in my description, it's not wheel wobble, it's wobbling wheel caused by excessive play side to side in the bearing. The rim is running true, as is the brake disk.

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Judge dreadful | 9 years ago
0 likes

Actually, I think I'll just junk the wheel and hub, I wasn't keen on the E4P wheel anyway. I'm going to see if the Mavic Crossone 29'er is better (it couldn't be any worse).

Latest Comments